Pressure (Washer) won't bypass

Old 08-05-13, 03:55 PM
Pressure (Washer) won't bypass

Craftsman 580.752102 Pressure Washer: Pressure washer not used for a couple of years. Motor started right up but could not get any water through the machine. Removed manifold and soaked with WD40. Hooked hose back to machine with manifold off and water came out. Tried to remove Unloader but could not get it out. I pulled the pin (the staple like item) but could not get it apart so replaced pin, nuts, spring. Now I get water through the system but motor will only run with trigger squeezed. As soon as you let go of the trigger the motor freezes up and cannot be restarted until pressure is released. Is this caused by the unloader being stuck or is there something else wrong. What allows the pressure to "bypass" when the trigger is not squeezed? How can I remove the unloader from the manifold?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-13, 06:00 PM
I'm not a pressure washer person, but it would be a pressure sensitive bypass valve. That would likely have a spring on a valve that would be forced open by line pressure. All of that would be preset.

In addition there may be an easy start valve that would allow startup without having to deal with line pressure.

Old 08-05-13, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That unloader valve is is the problem and is behind the "staple" looking wire retainer clip. These aluminum housings corrode badly and the plastic valves get stuck. Sometimes to the point of ruination.

Old 08-06-13, 07:55 AM
When I remove the two nuts and spring on the unloader I can move the threaded stud in-and-out about 1/8". But with the wire retainer clip removed I cannot get anything to come out. With the clip out, does the threaded stud supposed to just pull out? I thought about soaking the whole thing again in WD-40 but don't know for sure what is suppose to happen after removing the clip. I see in the parts diagram a "multiple piece" apparatus in the hole but not sure what to do to remove.

Old 08-06-13, 08:56 AM
Another thought/question

With all of the messing around I did with this thing, removing nuts and spring, turning the threaded rod, etc. could it be out of adjustment now? Since there's a screwdriver slot in the end of the rod I assume you should be able to adjust it with that or with the one large nut that compresses the spring (I assume the small nut is just a locking nut). Any thoughts/advice?

Old 08-06-13, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The adjustment shouldn't be making it lock up though. If I recall correctly, the unloader normally pulls out after the retainer is removed.