Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 521 snowblower auger bearing removal

MA

08-16-13, 06:15 PM   #1  
Toro 521 snowblower auger bearing removal

Hi All,

I have a Toro 521 snow blower , model 38052 sn in the 600000s, that the engine cuts out on when I engage the auger. I cannot manually turn the auger blades at all, I can manually turn the impeller about a half turn each way, but it eventually stops and I can't turn it a full revolution. All the while the auger is not turning at all.
Originally I thought it might be broken gears in the gearbox, but when I finally got the auger/impeller assy removed from the housing, I noticed I could turn the impeller all the way and the augers rotated without a problem. I removed the spring clip, washer, screw and bolt from the auger shaft, but I could not remove either auger bearing to slide off the auger. Is the auger shaft supposed to turn inside the auger bushing? (because they aren't) If so, I am guessing that is my problem.

If that is the case, how do I remove the auger bearings, both seem to be seized onto the auger shaft. Is there a woodruff key or is it threaded on?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

08-16-13, 11:00 PM   #2  
You will not be able to turn the augers on the snowblower.

Can't find a detailed picture that shows the auger bearings complete. The picture below is the bearings. I have the same machine but it's been several years since I've had the auger out. I don't believe there is anything holding the bearings to the auger shaft.

The link below is a parts breakout of your unit. Part A-31 is the auger bearing.

If no one else replies I can check my machine on Sunday for you.

E replacement parts-Toro-38052-snowthrower-parts

Name:  aug.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  4.8 KB

MA

08-17-13, 09:20 AM   #3  
Hi PJmax, Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking if the auger bearings are bolted to the auger housing. And the auger shaft slides inside the auger bearing, for the machine to work, the shaft would have to be able to turn inside the auger bearings. Would that be correct, or am I mistaken? Right now, both bearings are seized to the shaft. I'm kind of thinking that would be my whole problem.

Search this Thread