S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Make: Craftsman
Model: 536.270301
Mfg Date: 4-13-2005
Engine: Briggs & Stratton 13.5 HP I/C

I've been having nothing but problems with this tractor this year. Last year, it ran great. I had it running two weeks ago, but it didn't run very well. I kept getting several backfires while riding it and when I would shut it off. Now, I can't get it to start. I've replaced the spark plug, changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter and air filter. I also replaced the Magneto a few weeks ago when I couldn't get it to start at that time. Turns out the magneto was fine, I had a short somewhere in a safety switch for the seat. I am getting spark on the plug and the engine turns over, but won't start. It will sputter and then back fire very loudly. I drained the gas, put in fresh gas, but I have the same problem. I also tried a shot of starting fluid, which didn't help. I ended up killing the battery trying to start it, so I am going to recharge it tonight. Any ideas? I've read that it could be a sheared key problem? I'm not an expert at all on mowers, so any help would be appreciated. I bought some carb cleaner the other day and I'm thinking about cleaning it, but I'm kind of nervous since I've never done that before. I've also read that it may be a solenoid failure? There is a little round metal canister below the carb bowl I believe, which has a connector going into it with a black and white wire. Is this the solenoid?

I've attached a few photos of my lawn tractor.

Thanks!

Greg

Attached Images    
Old 08-05-13, 09:10 AM
M
Sounds to me like the flywheel key has sheared off. Sounds like it is out of time. Pull off the cover that covers the flywheel bolt and take out the flywheel bolt and inspect.

Old 08-05-13, 05:19 PM
S
Thanks, but this was not the issue. Things I tried today were a new spark plug and fresh gas. I also cleaned the carb bowl and verified that it clicks when i turn the key. This probably doens't make sense, but there is a small round metal canister under the carb bowl that has a two wire harness that attached to it. I believe it's used to regulate the main jet? Not sure. Anyways, after all this, it's still not starting. It will sputter for a few seconds, then dies. I'm at a loss

Old 08-05-13, 05:29 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remove the carburetor, soak it in carburetor clean and rebuild it with a repair kit.
Ethanol is the problem. it will destroy the gaskets, fuel lines and clog up the insides of the carburetor.
There's been hundreds of post about this on every DIY site.
Find a place that sells none ethanol fuel or add an additive to counter act the effects of it.
Every power equipment, or boat place I've been in has warnings right on the counter warning not to use ethanol fuel.

Old 08-05-13, 05:34 PM
S
Thanks but ive been using stabil since ive had it and never had this issue

Old 08-05-13, 05:39 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just Stabil not going to work.
You need a product like this.
Ethanol Fuel Treatment - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag!

Old 08-05-13, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Unplug the kill wire from the coil and try it again. Also, did you put your old coil back on or is the new one on there? Is it a genuine Briggs part, or aftermarket?

Old 08-18-13, 06:18 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Have you ever adjusted the valves?

Old 08-25-13, 06:18 PM
M
This address may or may not help you if you decide to try and really clean the carb yourself.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...1/1245/1503500
I personally would be afraid to make some kind of guess as to your real problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: