Honda Generator Runs However Has No Power Output

Old 08-28-13, 02:16 PM
Cool Honda Generator Runs However Has No Power Output

I have a Honda EM3500S generator with a Honda motor. The generator starts up and runs fine but there is no power at the outlets. I have checked all the fuses and breakers with no luck. I am hoping that someone could tell me if there is a way to test for what the problem may be.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-13, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Have you read up on "flashing a generator" to see if that might be your problem? Basically if a generator sits for a long time without being used the winding looses it's magnetism and needs a little jump start to get it working again.

Old 08-28-13, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Although not really common....your generator may need to be reflashed.

The next step in testing is to check the resistance at the slip rings on the generator. You should measure approximately 55-60 ohms. If you measure somewhere near that then start up generator and you should measure around 15VDC.

If you had measured a real low resistance on the slip rings then the stator coil may be fried.

Old 08-30-13, 04:46 PM
So, I took it to a dealer service center. The tech told me the stator was bad. he also told me that the part was around $800.00 or that is what they found it for online however he was waiting to hear back from Honda. They are also charging me $169.00 for diagnostic. Can anyone help me with info on whether this sounds correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-13, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
$ 800.00 is basically half the cost of the generator and is labor intensive to put in. That price is correct for the part only.

As far as the 169.00 for a diagnostic fee..... you should have known that going in. That should not be a "surprise" fee. Is the amount fair..... yes.

That brings up another question..... is this your generator..... did you always own it or was it given to or purchased by you ?

For that part to short out it would have needed to be run under heavy load for long periods..... almost to the point of abuse.

If you don't have any money in it.... ask the service place to keep it for the diagnostic fee.
The best you can do is sell it for parts if you pay the diagnostic fee.

Old 08-30-13, 09:26 PM
As a business owner I am definitely ok with the diagnostic fee. I was just curious as to how long it should take to find that problem.

I own a landscape construction business and I purchased this unit used a little over a year ago. We do run it a lot for Makita's and Jack Hammers which tend to draw a heavy load.

I will probably pay the $169.00 due the fact that the engine is worth it to me. We use the same engine on several pieces of equipment that we have (always nice to have a spare).

I appreciate the advice and info from everyone.

Thank You,
Denny Barnett

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-31-13 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Removed business name...