Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help me - governor driving me crazy - honda gx 140

CANADA

08-31-13, 10:23 PM   #1  
Help me - governor driving me crazy - honda gx 140

Hello All....newbie to thank you for your patience with me...

Have my elderly neighbors garden tiller in my garage...was giving a thorough clean up / tune up etc and noticed it was reving way to high. Put a tach on it 5200 rpm.

Should mention that it is as HONDA GX 140
Model A501 - Walk behind garden tiller.

Carbuertor is fine ( completely cleaned), set al the adjustments to Haynes manual, new gaskets, cleaned tank, adjusted valve clearance ( free'd sticky exhaust valve ), cracked case and replaced governor ( was reving high prior to this ). Weight were ok on old governor but sticky due to oil not being changed in recente memory.

PROBLEM - still revs over 5000 rpm. This is what I did...
1 - loosend clamp at governor shaft
2 - opened throttle lever to high speed ( pulls gov. arm clockwise )
3 - made sure governor shaft was turned clockwise as far as it would go
4 - tightened clamp
5 - have new governor springs ( one that goes around shaft & to gov lever itself)

I have read multiple forums and believe I have done this correctly.

I need help, the neighbor cannot afford to take this tiller into HONDA and I cannot figure our what I have done wrong...please HELP ?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-01-13, 12:15 AM   #2  
Can you manually close the throttle and get it to slow down? The governor may have coma apart inside. When you turn the governor shaft clockwise, is that the direction required to make the engine speed up? Seems like it is from memory, but I can't recall for sure.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread