Disengage blades lever will not lower all the way down

Old 09-07-13, 06:32 PM
Unhappy Disengage blades lever will not lower all the way down

Hope someone can help.

Yesterday I got in a hurry (FIRST mistake) and made the mistake of turning off the ignition of my Craftsman mower Model Number:917.270514 BEFORE disengaging the blades (Second mistake). When I tried to lower the "attachment lever" to disengage the blades, the lever will only go half way down. The lever will return all the way up into the "engage" position but the lever feels "springy" when it gets to the half way down point and will not go lower.

The blades will not disengage for the mower to start. Yesterday, I put the tractor in gear and rocked it, put the tractor in reverse and rocked it, raised and lowered the deck and finally ended up pushing it (up hill of course ... waaaay uphill) into the shed and called it a day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-13, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Disengage the blades as far as the lever will go, then reach under at each blade pulley and pull the blade brake arm away from the pulley. One or the other will probably cause the lever to fall the rest of the way down.

Old 09-07-13, 10:14 PM
Thank you so very much for your prompt reply. I really do appreciate it and will let you know how it goes tomorrow...unless it rains LOL.
Thanks again

Old 09-08-13, 11:46 AM
Thumbs up Woot!

Bless your heart !
Worked like a charm !
Thank you so very much !!!