Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Yard Machine smoking and won't move when clutch pedal is released

AZ

09-13-13, 11:40 PM   #1  
MTD Yard Machine smoking and won't move when clutch pedal is released

I have a yard machine 13.5 hp 38" 6 speed shift on the go riding lawn mower, 13ac762f729. The engine runs great, but most of the time when I put it into drive it makes a horrible screeching sound, starts smoking, and won't move. Sometimes it engages just fine. A couple of times as I've taken my foot off the clutch pedal, I can feel it wanting to engage but it won't quite. I've given the clutch pedal a little kick and sometimes that will engage it, but now that seems no not be working.

I'm a newbie when it comes to these riding mowers, but I'm very handy with the engine. Please help, I have no clue what to do. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-14-13, 01:16 AM   #2  
It's burning one of the transmission belts. Most likely either the brake is sticking or the variadrive pulley bearings are freezing up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AZ

09-14-13, 07:20 AM   #3  
Thanks - That seems to be correct, so how do I go about fixing it? How would I diagnose whether it is the brake sticking or the vari-drive pulley? The belt looks new-ish (certainly newer than the mower belt which is working perfectly fine)

AZ

09-14-13, 07:24 AM   #4  
I should add, I can push it no problem, does that mean it isn't the brake? Could this be a transaxel problem or am I in the clear?

AZ

09-15-13, 09:11 AM   #5  
The long belt is smoking at the front (engine) pulley. If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-15-13, 12:04 PM   #6  
The variadrive pulley is probably locked up. You'll have to check it and see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread