MTD Yard Machine smoking and won't move when clutch pedal is released

Old 09-13-13, 11:40 PM
MTD Yard Machine smoking and won't move when clutch pedal is released

I have a yard machine 13.5 hp 38" 6 speed shift on the go riding lawn mower, 13ac762f729. The engine runs great, but most of the time when I put it into drive it makes a horrible screeching sound, starts smoking, and won't move. Sometimes it engages just fine. A couple of times as I've taken my foot off the clutch pedal, I can feel it wanting to engage but it won't quite. I've given the clutch pedal a little kick and sometimes that will engage it, but now that seems no not be working.

I'm a newbie when it comes to these riding mowers, but I'm very handy with the engine. Please help, I have no clue what to do. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-13, 01:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's burning one of the transmission belts. Most likely either the brake is sticking or the variadrive pulley bearings are freezing up.

Old 09-14-13, 07:20 AM
Thanks - That seems to be correct, so how do I go about fixing it? How would I diagnose whether it is the brake sticking or the vari-drive pulley? The belt looks new-ish (certainly newer than the mower belt which is working perfectly fine)

Old 09-14-13, 07:24 AM
I should add, I can push it no problem, does that mean it isn't the brake? Could this be a transaxel problem or am I in the clear?

Old 09-15-13, 09:11 AM
The long belt is smoking at the front (engine) pulley. If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-15-13, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The variadrive pulley is probably locked up. You'll have to check it and see.