Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Yard Machines - Drive belt jumped off pulley, how to replace? PLEASE HELP!

09-14-13, 04:12 PM   #1  
MTD Yard Machines - Drive belt jumped off pulley, how to replace? PLEASE HELP!

Hello,

I have a 2006 MTD Yard Machines Model # 13AC762F729 lawn tractor... Shortly after buying it the front drive belt (part #30) burnt up and I had it replaced by a mechanic. I got the mower home and in ran it for about 30 minutes when the same belt jumped the rear drive pulley (part #63), this is the double pulley. The belt appears to be undamaged. I cant figure out how to get it back on as it doesn't fit between the pulley and the belt guide on the idler assembly (part # 64).

What might cause this belt to jump off like this? How do I create enough of a gap to get the belt back on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We desperately need to mow!

Edit: Here's a link to the parts image that can be zoomed in for easier viewing....
Outdoor Power Equipment Parts: Use the Part Finder Tool from MTD

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 19857
Size:  46.8 KB

Last edited by Nathan Sweet; 09-14-13 at 05:08 PM.

Sponsored Links

FL

09-14-13, 04:30 PM   #2  
Hello Nathan Sweet,

Remove screw #65 from the double pulley shaft (Variator) then slide it up out of the bearings #69 just far enough to get the belt between the pulley and keeper/guide on #64, Then slide the pulley back down into the bearings and re-install the screw.....

Good Luck

09-14-13, 04:58 PM   #3  
Thank you for your reply. I was hoping it would be as easy as that.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep the pulley from turning so I can remove the screw?

FL

09-14-13, 06:25 PM   #4  
You will likely need a helper wearing gloves to hold the pulley from spinning from under the seat, Then you can put a boxed end wrench on the screw from underneath and smack the wrench with a hammer to break it loose.

Once you get both belts back on and with the clutch out it will be easier to hold from spinning.

The proper tool would be the use of a impact wrench......

Good Luck

Search this Thread