Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hydro Gear Transaxles

FL

09-29-13, 03:11 PM   #1  
Hydro Gear Transaxles

Anyone have any experience diagnosing issues with those transaxles? Many thanks

Sponsored Links

FL

09-29-13, 05:23 PM   #2  
Hello Staysinthedark,

I may just know a thing or two about these......

What's the model number off the bar code label affixed to the housing and what issues are you having ?

FL

09-29-13, 05:44 PM   #3  
Will get that for you shortly. Briefly transaxle doesnt drive in F or R. Elevated the unit and works fine.

FL

09-29-13, 05:51 PM   #4  
T2 AABC 1X1A 10X1 Made in the USA. Imagine that

FL

09-30-13, 05:19 AM   #5  
Hello Staysinthedark,

Sounds like your transaxle is low on oil, Do you see any leaks ?

The oil level can be checked by removing the oil fill plug on the top of the transaxle, Proper oil level is to the bottom thread of the oil fill port. If found low, Top off with any quality brand 20w50 engine oil.

The transaxle oil can be changed but requires transaxle removal from the tractor and turned up side down, The oil drains out the fill plug. Then after refilling with new oil a air purge procedure is necessary to rid the pump of air.....

Good Luck

FL

09-30-13, 05:51 AM   #6  
Thanks. Will be calling them at 0800. Been told it was a sealed unit. Cant disagree with your analysis. Havent noticed any leaks or lessened performance until this. Thanks for your input will post what I find out.

Group Moderator

NC

09-30-13, 09:29 AM   #7  
Are you certain the problem is in the hydro unit? I once picked up a JD tractor cheap that could only move on level ground or when the drive wheels were jacked off the ground but could not climb the slightest hill. It turned out to simply be a belt adjustment. The belt was slipping under the slightest load. Tightening it took care of the problem.

FL

09-30-13, 10:04 AM   #8  
Was sorta until I jacked it up and it ran fine. Question is it the load and hydraulics? Unit is sealed and factory says nope. Clutches? Maybe? Dont know. Belt was new and it ran jacked up. Factory thought might be the linkage. Checked before and again and dont think it is. Said it cant be electronics. Still diggin thanks for the input.

FL

10-03-13, 07:32 PM   #9  
Eureka. Maybe. Posting answers on the Poulan 300 transaxle thread thread

Search this Thread