Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Tecumseh Tiller

TX

09-29-13, 06:15 PM   #1  
Old Tecumseh Tiller

I was given an old Tecumseh tiller TC300 3152F (B) 8083G about a year ago and am looking to clean it up. When it was given to me the only thing wrong was the throttle/choke cable would not work. But I'm sure it needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. I'm just not sure where to start. I suppose I could tear everything apart. The only engines I've worked on have been on cars and even then it was only cleaning throttle bodies or changing a valve cover gasket. Never tore an engine apart, small or large. Would the first step be to remove the engine from the frame? The tines?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

09-29-13, 06:35 PM   #2  
Well, I don't know that you've given us much info to go on.

Engines need 3 things to run. Fuel, spark and air.

IMO, step one would be to pull the starter and find out if it has spark. Pull the plug out, ground the bottom electrode to the frame (letting it rest over the hole) and give it a spin. You should see a crisp blue spark. If its got spark, there is probably no reason to suspect that as being the reason it doesn't start.

Next, is fuel. If the tank can easily be removed, you might put a little fuel in it, swish it around and dump it back out to ensure there is no water or crud in the tank. If it has a carb with a bowl, the bowl could be removed to ensure the needle isn't stuck. but be sure not to change the adjustments on the needle.

Last thing to do is remove the air cleaner and ensure it's clean. It's probably the only real thing on the engine that needs to be cleaned up. The oil could probably be drained and changed, since it's probably obviously been in there a while.

But I certainly wouldn't tear it apart for no reason. A little dust on the outside of a motor is cosmetic and does not affect the inside of the motor or whether or not it runs.

TX

09-29-13, 08:19 PM   #3  
The original problem was the throttle (?) cable. It's disconnected at the handle and the cable doesn't budge. I think whatever the cable goes to is stuck at the engine.

How exactly do I ground the bottom electrode? Just rest it on the frame with the electode touching metal then pull the cord? Wouldn't the plug just fall off?

By carberator with a bowl do you mean a fuel bulb that you press to bring gas into it? I've got a Ryobi weed eater like that.

Thanks for your input.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-29-13, 09:24 PM   #4  
Yes, let the plug touch metal on the frame while connected to the plug wire and look for spark. most likely you will need to clean and rebuild the carburetor as well. Might want to see if the carburetor is frozen up or the throttle cable is rusted or what, and determine if you can even get replacement parts or not. That tiller is old.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NE

09-30-13, 04:42 AM   #5  
Cables often will rust and sieze. Some penetrating oil along the length, and flexing the cable will sometimes loosen them up. Replacing the cable is a better solution.

TX

09-30-13, 09:51 AM   #6  
Thanks guys. Barring anything unforseen I'll look into it this afternoon.

TX

09-30-13, 04:18 PM   #7  
Finally figured out how to access the throttle cable at the engine. I lubricated it up and reinstalled it and it moves pretty well now.

I had to go through the air filter to do this and the filters are quite filthy. Also, the carb is dirty as $#!!, at least outside.

I don't have any carb cleaner but can I use brake cleaner to clean things up?

Also, I found the engine number: WTPXS.0494EA

Group Moderator

NE

09-30-13, 04:34 PM   #8  
Brake cleaner may very well take the paint off anything you spray it on.

TX

09-30-13, 04:59 PM   #9  
I understand that brake fluid would do that but I've disconnected the carb and fuel tank from the body. All that is there is to spray is the plastic gas tank, rubber fuel lines and bare metal of the carb.

I'll need to pick up another filter so I might as well get some carb cleaner.

TX

10-01-13, 09:35 AM   #10  
Would throttle body cleaner be ok to clean the carburator, hoses and fuel tank?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-01-13, 09:45 AM   #11  
I recommend using next dimension carburetor cleaner from advance auto. It seems to work better than the other brands and is a bit cheaper than most. Just don't get it in your eyes! Throttle body cleaner is different, not designed to dissolve varnished gas out of jets and passages. Same with brake cleaner.

God bless!

TX

10-01-13, 12:08 PM   #12  
And now I know why I should use carb cleaner vice throttle body cleaner. Didn't know there was really any difference. Thanks Cheese, I'll pick some up after work.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-01-13, 05:57 PM   #13  
Throttle body cleaner may work, depending on how bad your carb is, but it's not usually as strong as carb cleaner.

God bless!

TX

10-01-13, 07:14 PM   #14  
I got the carb cleaner and cleaned up the carb. But I lost the [email protected]&^ spring. What is this spring called? Where can I order one? The carb number is 112E810. Would a carb rebuild kit have it? The spring is in the attached picture.

Attached Images

TX

10-06-13, 06:42 PM   #15  
Update: I finally found the missing spring and put things back together. Added some gas and tried to fire it up. Found out that the plastic fuel inlet pipe is cracked and need a replacement. Just one thing after another.

Search this Thread