Poulan Pro 31cc weedeater hard start, blue exhaust

Old 10-02-13, 09:37 AM
Poulan Pro 31cc weedeater hard start, blue exhaust

I recently acquired a 31cc poulan pro weedeater, I got it because it was exactly like my craftsman I was trying to repair. It ran great at first so did not use it for parts. It did have the same issue I always had with my other 2 stroke weedeater, it hesitated and sometimes stalled when opening the throttle. Then one day it quit running. I found out I had a little too much oil in the gas, just enough to foul the plug and the exhaust was carboned up, so I bought a new plug, cleaned everything, replaced the fuel lines, decarboned the exhaust and reinstalled everything. Now I have the problem that it is hard to start and will not run without the choke on, but blows alot of blue exhaust, seems like too much oil, but I am certain it wasn't. the plug oil fouled again though, replaced it, and same problem, but if I kick off the choke it dies. It has good spark, and I have repaired these many times, but this has me baffled, as there is no damage inside the cylinders.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-13, 10:37 AM
This worked for me but I had the problem with not reving up, but can't hurt to try. On the muffler there is a spark arrester screen pull it out and see if that doesn't cure the problem. I have a 33cc poulan weed eater runs like a champ........two-dogs

Old 10-02-13, 12:19 PM
I thought the same, tried it, no luck. I tried seafoam too, trying a new plug again, it is obviously getting fuel so the carb is ok, my try my old one though

Old 10-02-13, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it dies when you take the choke off, it's not getting enough fuel. The carb needs work.

Old 10-03-13, 07:31 PM
I would think the same thing in most situations, however, it is obvious that it is getting fuel due to wet plugs and when I try to rev it up, I have to feather the throttle, but in a lean condition on a 2 stroke they tend to rev up higher, opposite of a 4 stroke. I just can't figure out why it is suddenly running rich, I am going to try swapping carbs with my old one, but it just has me confused, especially blowing exhaust like too much oil in the gas.

Old 10-03-13, 09:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Okie dokie then.