No air filter ruins engine?

Old 10-06-13, 09:26 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No air filter ruins engine?

If a lawnmower gas engine is operated without any air filter:

1 - how long until it clogs up and dies?

2 - is the engine completely ruined or will a new carburator or cleaning save it?

Old 10-06-13, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It won't clog up. The dirt permanently scores the cylinder walls. Oil consumption will go up and the engine will smoke. A new carburetor will not help.

It depends on how much dust and dirt is in the air for how fast the engine will seize.

Old 10-06-13, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Correct. On a lawnmower on a dusty day, you can ruin the engine before you get the grass cut one time. Actually, you can ruin the engine in less than 5 minutes in the right conditions.

It ruins the rings, the cylinder walls, the piston, and eventually contaminates the oil and ruins the other internals.

Old 10-07-13, 07:02 AM
X
Thanks guys, I did not know that.

The story on the mower is this:

It is an 8 year old YardWorks (tecumseh) that has had oil changes but not once has the filter been changed. Never had a problem with starting, smoking, backfiring...etc.

On Saturday the mower started and I cut the front lawn. Turned it off and headed to the back where it would not start. I figured it was the spark plug so I changed that and it did not help. I then took the filter cover off and noticed there was no filter at all (just the cover) and the air intake was choked with grass clippings.

Either I've been robbed of a 10$ used part or I've used this mower for 8 years without a filter.

Just wondering if the engine is even salvageable?

Old 10-07-13, 09:15 AM
Just wondering if the engine is even salvageable?

Hello xroxer,

Time to cut your loses and buy a new machine......

Old 10-07-13, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree. In 8 years, you never looked at the air filter? I really doubt it lasted all that time without a filter unless you have a really small, really thick grass yard with no dirt patches or dust.

Last edited by cheese; 10-09-13 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 06:12 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I change the air filter before each season and remove/brush off twice per season.

Old 10-09-13, 09:28 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
What have you got to loose, clean the grass out of the carb and see if it will runs. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-15-13, 07:14 AM
X
Well I did a carb clean according to a few youtube videos and it still did not start. I happen to notice another youtube video on how to check for spark and it turns out the problem was the killswitch had failed. I took off the motor cover and pulled the killswitch wire off the contact and the motor started first pull.

Add the fix I did to my central vac and I'd say the internet has saved me ~500$ in the past two weeks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: