Tecumseh 5.0 HP Motor...

Old 10-20-13, 01:18 PM
Tecumseh 5.0 HP Motor...

Hey guys,

I posted a few weeks ago about a Billy Goat yard vac with a Tecumseh 5.0 HP motor on it. Initially the motor wouldn't run but for a few seconds. Fast forward to now: I rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the gas tank. The day I finished the job the Billy Goat ran great and I used it on my entire front and back yards.

Today I pulled it out and tried cranking it. With the help of a little starting fluid I got it to run. It will run as long as it's sitting still not being pushed. If I begin pushing it and sucking things up with it the RPM's start to drop and it eventually dies.

I did notice if I twist the screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl I can keep it running for longer.... until I move it again.

This is my last ditch effort at DYI before I give in and take it to a mechanic. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know what else to try.

Thank You!
Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-13, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you change the fuel lines?
There's a chance there was still some old gas and trash in the lines that's now in the carb.
Is there a fuel filter?

Old 10-20-13, 02:20 PM
No I didn't change the fuel line. It's only an inch or so long and I did clean it pretty thoroughly when I was rebuilding the carb.

Thanks for the response!

Old 10-20-13, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds a lot like either a little water and/or trash has made it's way into the bowl again, or the high speed screw is screwed in too far.