Craftsman Riding Mower suddenly runs mower all the time

Old 10-28-13, 04:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Riding Mower suddenly runs mower all the time

Hi, all;

My old Craftsman gear drive riding mower is just like my grandmother -- always needing a little something or other.

It's a Model 917.251510 Serial# 111695C 001287, V-Twin Kohler 20.5 HP engine, 46" mowing deck (which is brand new).

It's been running fine, other than the ignition coil dying, and then the ignition switch died. I replaced both, and put in a new battery just because I didn't know the age of the one in there.

The new mower deck has about 25 hours on it.

Today, while doing no mowing at all, just hauling my little trailer around the property cleaning up junk, the mower turned on. The tractor has a red PTO switch on the dash which you must pull out to turn on the electric PTO clutch that drives the mower. I tried to push it in, but it was already in. I tried in and out a dozen times, but no luck. The mower stays on when the engine is running.

I found the parts on Sears Parts Direct, and one is the PTO switch on the dasdh, and the other is the electric clutch down under the tractor.

Now, having had two electrical switches on the dash fail in the past three weeks, I'm inclined to think the dash PTO switch is faulty. In fact, I'd be inclined to replace it just because it's on the dash, and because I can do it myself.

Replacing the electric clutch is for the repair shop to do, I think.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this? The mower deck is brand new. Is the electric clutch part of the mower deck, or part of this older model tractor?

Thanks for any advice,

Antifa

Old 10-29-13, 09:12 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, all;

The local repair shop said it's most likely a short in the PTO switch on the dash, so I bought a new one. Came home, pulled the old one off and tried to start. No dice.

Put the new PTO switch on, and the mower started right up with the engine. The switch has no effect on the mower, in or out makes no difference to starting up or running.

Any clues where to look for the short?

Thanks,

Antifa

Old 10-29-13, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I seriously doubt that it's an electrical problem. Most likely the bearings in the clutch froze up. That would make the deck drive pulley turn with the engine instead of idle until the clutch is turned on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: