Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP horizontal shaft engine terminal-oil plug

Old 11-10-13, 06:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP horizontal shaft engine terminal-oil plug

Just bought a new engine. The extended oil fill/dipstick port has the terminal-oil plug in it. My application use would greatly be enhanced if I could use that port for oil fill/dipstick. Can I relocate the terminal-oil plug to the lower oil fill port?....and all still operate properly. How does the module-oil and the terminal-oil plug work?

Old 11-10-13, 06:56 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Post the engine model, type and code, I am sure someone can help you out. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-10-13, 07:51 PM
B
Briggs & Stratton Horizonal Engine - 12S432-0036-F8

Old 11-11-13, 07:48 AM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The terminal connects to the low oil shutoff switch inside of the block. You would have to remove the side cover the move the plug! If you try to unscrew it you will break the wire.

Old 11-11-13, 08:12 AM
B
So, if I'm understand this correctly, the terminal-oil plug has a wire inside the engine connected to one side and an external wire connected to the module-oil.
Is that correct? In trying to understand its usage......when the oil reservoir gets low of oil....this system will cause the engine to cut-off?

Also, if I understand correctly, it doesn't not matter what port the terminal-oil plug is in as long as the internal and external wires are connected to the plug...is that correct?

Old 11-11-13, 02:55 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The wire inside of the engine is connected to the low oil switch inside of the engine. It has a float to detect the oil level!

Old 11-11-13, 06:47 PM
B
Does the float switch make or break the circuit?

Old 11-17-13, 01:55 PM
B
I was able to relocate the terminal oil plug to the lower port. I did have to remove the crankcase cover and use a new gasket when I replaced the cover. The float switch had a metal protector to prevent damage from obstacles in the oil fill port. I did bend the metal protector to gain space between the metal and the terminal lead. I am ready to install the engine now and hope it works. Any guidance before I install is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: