Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tuff Torq k46 hydro transaxle linkage - park brake adjust - Deere LT180 (2005)

OH

11-02-13, 08:47 PM   #1  
Tuff Torq k46 hydro transaxle linkage - park brake adjust - Deere LT180 (2005)

Group,

I'm coming up short on info for a Deere LT180 (2005) regarding parking brake function and adjust.

After replacement of the traction belt I noted two issues;

1. slack (play) in the brake pedal range of movement
2. The hydro drive fwd and rev pedals are active when the park brake is set (this is new, they were bypassed before somehow when park brake set).

There is an idler pulley underneath which can govern belt tension and an associated spring assembly tied to the brake pedal.

There is another brake related spring linkage connecting to the tuff tork k46 with an adjustable threaded rod end.

I spent some time tinkering with the belt tension and linkage, but am unable to reestablish original brake functionality.

Can anyone advise me on the specifications or insights for adjusting the brake system.

Any brake mechanisms are internal to the K46. There is no friction disk on this model as commonly found on older gear box systems.

Please advise.

MOL180J533245

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-03-13, 12:17 AM   #2  
Sounds like you used the incorrect belt or it is routed improperly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

11-03-13, 04:16 AM   #3  
The belt routing matches the original configuration. In fact, the way the idlers are positioned around the chassis, there is only one viable routing solution. The machine test drives fine aside from the brake pedal. The new belt is OEM and selected per the model and serial number.

I guess I'll try the following approach.

1. Since the tension idler bracket also tensions the brake pedal spring, I'll adjust the idler bracket for optimum brake pedal position.

2. Then I'll work with the associated linkage on the other side of the chassis which feeds back to a shaft on the K46, related to braking. I'm not sure if this is an integral brake or just some type of integral clutch / valve. I'll adjust that thread rod slowly to find the point where the drive pedals bypass with the brake (park brake) fully engaged.

The old belt was badly cracked and checked, and likely stretched. The new and old belts seemed to be essentially the same size, and otherwise ordered to OEM specification.

If anyone has insights on the K46 transaxle or has made this adjustment before, I'd surely appreciate insight.

Thank you,

GT

OH

11-03-13, 05:47 AM   #4  
JD's online parts library specifies an M147044 belt for the LT180 which is what I purchased.

Interestingly enough, the other sibling models LT150, LT160, and LT190 use the M144044 belt.

I performed a reverse lookup just to see if it was a glitch and sure enough, there is a difference with the LT180 traction belt size as compared to other similar models.

Just an appnote FYI.

OH

11-03-13, 10:04 AM   #5  
I spent another morning under the LT180.. Studied the brake to traction idler bracket assembly.
I think you're spot on with the belt length. A longer belt would afford more rotation of the idler bracket assembly and engage the brake linkage better. In fact, if it were not for the necessity of the brake linkage to slack the traction belt, all those pulleys could be fixed and not on a rotational bracket. So, indeed it would appear that the 147044 belt is too short.
Now here's the rub. The almighty JD parts index clearly specifies the 147044 belt for my model and SN. How am I going to facilitate an exchange under these circumstances, and for that matter determine if the 144044 belt is the correct one either. I guess the million dollar question is if the 144044 belt is longer than the 147044 and by how much.

OH

11-04-13, 06:33 PM   #6  
You called it right Cheese. Wrong belt specified on JD's parts index website.
Anybody with the LT180 should use the 144044 belt which is 91.5" versus the 147044 (current JD catalog spec) which is too short at 89.6". I took the machine apart and got the new belt off. It measured correct as shipped (M147044). Old belt was 2" longer. Bingo!
Guess I solved my own problem, but good to document it for anyone else performing this service.
Now just a matter of getting the online dealer to exchange the part.
Cheers!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-04-13, 07:54 PM   #7  
Glad that was it, thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

11-05-13, 07:01 PM   #8  
Final note. M144044 installed and tension set to specification. Have a well functioning clutch. Good to go. Online dealer GFP took care of all related matters promptly. Good experience there.

Search this Thread