generators ?

Old 11-08-13, 12:44 PM
generators ?

Looking to buy a portable gas generator,what size would i need to run the fridge,a little freezer, a light or two and maybe a tv if the power goes out, which it usually does around here in winter, I know nothing about them so any help would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-13, 02:43 PM
Add up the total wattage of each appliance that you plan on using. Add about 10 to 15% to that total. If you want just a small freezer and a light and TV, then it shouldn't be too big of a unit.

However, you don't mention anything about heat, sump pump or refrigerator. These would seem to be a priority to most people and your unit should be based on those. During a power outage, a freezer will keep cold a long time if not opened. The other appliance all have motors in them and any motor at start up will draw a lot of power, therefore start-up values of a unit should be considered.

Old 11-08-13, 02:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 11-11-13, 01:14 PM
I did mention fridge,i'm not to worried about heat my house is small enough that i use a kerosene heater when power goes out it keeps it pretty warm, although we don't have water with the well but i don't want to spend thousands, the longest it went out for that i remember was 4 days, alittle inconvenient but manageable.I usually get water from the pond for the toilets, although i do have to drill holes if its froze over. thanks for the input guys.