craftsman leaf blower--no spark

Old 11-14-13, 06:22 PM
Question craftsman leaf blower--no spark

what part needs to be replaced how do I find it? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you grounding the plug when you check for spark? If so, try disconnecting the kill wire to the coil and see if it sparks. If not, the coil is bad, assuming you have some blower made in the past 25 years (you didn't tell us what you have).

Old 11-15-13, 11:31 AM
Thanks cheese, I was able to disassemble the unit and found that some rust had gotten on the magnetic areas of the flywheel. After cleaning that off and testing the kill switch, I reassembled the unit and whal-la it started right up. I sent about 4 hours on it as I don't have the appropriate tools, BUT the fix didn't cost me any money so I'm happy!! Thanks for getting me on the right track. oldstieg

Old 11-21-13, 10:25 AM
I have the 25cc craftsman leaf blower and am also not getting any spark. As far as grounding what do you mean? Brand new spark plug. Just trying to confirm how to make sure I'm not getting spark before I tear it completely apart

Old 11-21-13, 02:32 PM
To complete the circuit for the spark plug, it must have the plug boot on one end and the metal around the hex nut must be grounded against any part of the metal body of the engine. What many do is simply put the boot on the one end and hold the hex nut part of the spark plug up against the engine body (unpainted), pull the starter rope and if the ignition works you should see a spark.

You should always use insulated pliers to hold the spark plug and keep in mind that you now have an open spark plug hole with possibly fuel shooting out of it and now you are about to create a spark. That always make one look stupid AFTER the garage burns down, so take precautions.

A proper spark tester one can buy for $5 to $10 in any hardware store, is a lot better. Not only will one avoid fires but you can set the gap to determine exactly how strong your ignition is. Just seeing a spark does not confirm the spark is strong enough to combust the fuel.

Old 11-23-13, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct. Grounding means the plug needs to be touching a metal part of the engine to check for spark or you won't get one. That can be hard to do on most modern engines with all the plastic they put around them.