Propane Forklift Running Rough

Old 11-19-13, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Propane Forklift Running Rough

I have a TCM forklift which has a four cylinder Nissan engine running on propane. It was running fine until I changed the oil. When re-filling the oil I poured it in too fast and it overflowed, pouring over the valve cover around the spark plugs and header on the other side and everything below. After getting the oil in it started fine and I ran it outside to clean up. I sprayed the engine with de-greaser and hosed it off. Most everything got at least a splash of water (distributor, spark plug boots...). It started right up and I let it run for half an hour to dry things out before bringing it back inside. After setting a few days without running it now has a miss. It promptly starts but acts like one cylinder is not firing. Occasaionally and intermittently it will smooth out and run find. The longer I run it the better it gets and by the time it's fully up to temp it runs fine.

Should I just continue to run it hoping that whatever the problem is will eventually dry out? I'm assuming it's something in the ignition system. What's the most likely culprit?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 11:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would pop the distributor cap off and dry out the inside and under it. This is most likely where the problem is (assuming it does have a distributor on this model engine).

Old 11-20-13, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks. I have a truck due in today and after it's unloaded I open up the distributor and see what I find. I ran it for about 45 minutes yesterday. It missed for about the first 5 minutes and after that it purred like a kitten.

Old 11-20-13, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's pretty normal for moisture in the distributor. It is usually just a little, you might not even see it. You might have to leave it open to air out or dry it with a hair dryer. The little bit of moisture condenses on the inside of the cap. Then, when you crank it up, it interferes with the spark inside the cap, causing your missing. As the engine warms up, the moisture evaporates and becomes steam trapped in the distributor and allows the engine to run properly. Then you shut it down, it cools off and condenses again into water.

Old 11-20-13, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
I wiped it out with a clean rag and it runs smooth from start-up. Thanks for the advice. I suppose it shows my age & experience that I don't know much about distributors.

Old 11-20-13, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Had an old Ford station wagon that I never left home without a can of WD40 in it. Any water on the road the distributor would get wet inside. Wipe it and spray with WD40 was just part of driving it.

Old 11-21-13, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
You have your own personal forklift??? Too cool...