how big a generator would I need?

Old 11-21-13, 03:32 PM
how big a generator would I need?

I am looking into a generator - or several - to power about 40 small electric heaters for a tent city of homeless. These would be very small heaters that would run continually - no thermostat, they would never fully heat up a tent in the winter weather, just improve matters somewhat. (I would get the ones with a safety tipover switch, though.) How big a (portable) generator would be required? Would I need more than one? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-13, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
What's the draw on the heaters?

Old 11-21-13, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Hi.... IMO your better off going the propane route for what you intend... We have a tent city here also and they use the portables...

Old 11-21-13, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Well, if you figure 1'200 watt heaters 40 x 1200 equals 48kw. Since I hate to run machinery at 100% I'd shoot for a generator that can output that at 50-75% load. So, you'd be shopping for a 60 or 75kw generator. Not cheap. Then add in the heavy cabling required to distribute that much power and don't forget ground fault protection since you'd be providing electricity in a wet environment and the price continues to grow.

Do you have any idea of the fuel consumption for a generator of that size? It will not be cheap to feed.