Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 12hp OHV carb/throttle linkage questions

CANADA

12-01-13, 02:36 PM   #1  
Tecumseh 12hp OHV carb/throttle linkage questions

Hi Guys, new to your forum... I've read some related threads about cleaning the carb on this engine but a stupid question first... How do I get the shroud off without breaking the choke and throttle linkage? I'm assuming that the red rotary knob needs to pop off first but my gentle attempts at prying it off filled my soul dread. Is there a trick?

Backstory: I've had this snowblower for about 13 years, we've had to run it on partial choke for the last few and this season it'll start fine but will not continue to run for very long. I changed the plug (it was fouled badly as you can imagine) the gas is old, but since it starts okay I'm thinking that I have to bite the bullet and finally clean and set up this carb.

thanks for the help!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-01-13, 02:42 PM   #2  
It disconnects at the carburetor not up there where the handle is.
Adding a model # may let people look up what you have.

CANADA

01-01-14, 09:11 AM   #3  
Actually, it was the choke knob and there appeared to be no easy way to disconnect it behind the shroud. Since the choke linkage isn't all that robust- what I found is that holding the metal shaft with a set of pliers while prying against the knob itself- the knob could be wiggled off. After that- 4 screws and the shroud was off.

However- could have saved myself the trouble of removing the shroud by tipping the machine up and just removing the fixed jet screw from the bottom of the carb bowl. There are some youtube videos that show where to clean this screw with a fine wire. In my case- it appeared that the small hole just above the screw thread was what was causing the problem.

One other contributing factor worth mentioning (and I've had the same issue on my Tecumseh-powered JohnDeere riding mower) is that the gas cap doesn't vent well creating a vacuum in the gas tank. If cleaning the jet doesn't help- I'd suggest trying to run the engine with the gas cap loose to see if this may be an issue.

Anyway, thanks for a place to share information guys. Hope my experiences help someone else out.

Search this Thread