Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bolt on portable generator

NH

12-06-13, 06:00 AM   #1  
Bolt on portable generator

Hi All ,I have a horizontal shaft motor set up from an old snow blower that I striped the coronet end off of ,I currently have a Hi pressure pump bolted on and it works great,just thinking of may be switching it out to for a bolt on generator,my question would be has anyone ever seen a generator that would work for this app?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-13, 06:07 AM   #2  
Sure... what you are looking for is a generator head. The link below is one place that carries them. You'll need to match the wattage and mounting method to your engine.

Generator Heads | Generators | Northern Tool + Equipment

NH

12-06-13, 07:10 AM   #3  
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for,now to find one for a decent price.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-06-13, 07:55 AM   #4  
Make sure your engine (not motor) is optimized with the generator. Too fast an engine will cause over voltage spiking on some generators.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-13, 11:47 PM   #5  
Try checking with small engine repair centers in your area. They may have entire units with blown engines that people didn't want repaired and just left there. You may be able to pick up an entire genny for song and a dance and just use the generator part.

You also need to make sure your engine is strong enough to power the generator. The engine is sized to the generator head.

Group Moderator

NC

12-07-13, 05:22 AM   #6  
You can even get a slightly over sized generator head if you find one. Mainly the generator will require power directly related to the load placed on it. I usually guestimate about 2 hp per 1'000 watts. So, you will be able to generate electricity up to the power limit of your engine. If the generator is a little oversized you will run out of engine power before you run out of generator capacity. The opposite is true if you get head that is a bit undersized. You will max out the generator's capacity and still have power reserve in the engine. You don't want to go crazy over or undersizing because it will work best if the two (engine and generator head) are matched. Also note that the voltage and frequency will be controlled by the engine's speed so you will want a way of fine tuning.

Search this Thread