Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower: SeaFoam?

MI

12-19-13, 08:03 AM   #1  
Snowblower: SeaFoam?

I have an older 5 HP, 4cycle Ariens snow-blower. I put it away last year and did not put stabilizer in the gas. The machine fired up and ran for about 20 minutes or so. I put it away and have since put in fresh gas.

However, the machine is running rough, even after putting in a new plug. Plus, it will only run while on full choke.

Was thinking I should try Sea Foam to get it running smoother.

Anybody try this stuff. Comments?

Anybody ever put in with oil in crank?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

12-19-13, 08:11 AM   #2  
Supposed to be good stuff, but kinda pricey. It can't work miracles of course. You may still need to do a carb re-build, but it's worth a shot I'd think.

Never put it in the oil, gas tank only. Didn't help as I had an idle control issue.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MO

12-19-13, 09:11 AM   #3  
SeaFoam is wonderful stuff if the problem is varnish, it can't do much for dirt and other trash but is amazing on varnish, drain the old gas then mix 1-2 ounces in a pint of gas and let it run for 10 minutes, let it set for 30 minutes, then run it until it quits, you will probably hear the engine change tempo as it runs. Have a good one. Geo

MI

12-19-13, 09:18 AM   #4  
I have had good results a in a few similar situations. As mentioned, it's not going to perform miracles, but no way to say for sure without trying it, so I definitely would.

NJ

12-20-13, 04:35 AM   #5  
I use it a lot and recommend it over stabil to my customers. It is not a miracle solution however it works ok for me.

OH

12-20-13, 08:08 AM   #6  
I bought a snow thrower 2 years ago. From the beginning I've added 1 OZ. SeaFoam per gallon when filling up. Store it wet and it's runs great every season. I'm currently using the gas I purchased last Feb. and its running strong. I use SeaFoam in all my OPE gas.

VA

12-20-13, 08:14 AM   #7  
1 oz per gallon would do a fine job of keeping the problem you have from originating, but now that you have it, I would go with Geo's concentration of 2 oz per pint in an attempt to fix it. If it doesn't you will need to do a manual carb cleaning.

Search this Thread