Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Snow Thrower Spark Plug Wire issue

01-02-14, 06:41 AM   #1  
Craftsman Snow Thrower Spark Plug Wire issue

I have a Craftsman 21" Snow Thrower Model # 247.88704. I couldn't get it to start and when I went to go look at the spark plug, I noticed that the wire that the spark plug boot is connected to is ripped in half almost. I checked with Craftsman/ Sears and this part isn't even listed on their website or in their books and is no longer available. They didn't even have a part number for it.

(Just a heads up before I ask some dumb questions, I am not very mechanically inclined and generally don't get into fixing stuff like this, but I need to this time)

First, what exactly is the name of this wire I am talking about and where does the other end of the wire go to? I can't see where it ends and don't want to disassemble anything until I'm sure I can get the part and that I'm capable of actually doing this repair. Anyone ever have this issue and if so, is it a relatively easy fix/ Anybody have a part # for it or a place to look for it at? Craftsman/Sears told me to take it to an autoparts store and see what they can do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

NY

01-02-14, 10:39 AM   #2  
The plug wire

That wire is not sold seperately, you can buy a piece and install it your self but it isn't easy. Just buy the coil with the wire attached. Most coils slide off of the laminated core, then you have a new setup. Parts should be in your manual, or on line at various sites; jacks small engins, tulsa small engins, and others.
Sid

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-02-14, 02:47 PM   #3  
I would first determine if this is in fact causing your problem. It can be partially cut and still work fine. Is the wire itself cut, or just the insulation? Is there metal against or within 1/2" of the cut? Have you checked to see if the spark plug is sparking?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread