Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens 921022 snowblower, no power to left wheel

VT

01-04-14, 09:18 AM   #1  
Ariens 921022 snowblower, no power to left wheel

I have a problem, I have an Ariens 28in deluxe snowblower model 921022, it is a year old and is the one that has what looks like a bike brake lever under the throttle cable to lockout one wheel to make it easy to turn, the left wheel has no power. It is like the turning mode is engaged all the time, the right wheel drives and has plenty of power, but the machine is behaving like it is one wheel drive. I started troubleshooting by making sure all the cables where properly adjusted. then I put the machine up on blocks and started it with the wheels off the ground, the right wheel engaged and ran so did the left until I put my boot against it, then it stopped, while the right kept on going. I then pulled the bottom inspection plate, the lockout mechanism appeared to be working properly and would engage and disengage when I squeezed the lever. It looks like it should work....but it doesnt....is there a shear pin in there somewhere that I missed?

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-12-14, 07:03 AM   #2  
Hello Jonathon.Ruff. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

I have no idea why your question remains unanswered......Hopefully, very soon, a small engine service tech, another member whom once had a like or similar condition and/or forum moderator will respond with some possible causes and possible solutions for the problem condition described...

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

NY

01-12-14, 07:14 AM   #3  
I don't know about this particular model. But I'm no fan of Arien's snowthrowers.
Anyway, does the wheel have a pin in it to allow it to be free wheeling or engaged? The older units have it.

02-14-14, 06:58 PM   #4  
the bike brake lever

I was looking up what the bike brake lever does because in 2 years of use in the Adirondacks I have never used it. From what I have read, if you fully engage and then disengage that lever it goes from right wheel drive to both wheel drive. I have yet to test this, but it seems it is something that should be done maybe not in motion.

03-22-14, 08:12 AM   #5  
On the Ariens 921022 there is an axle pin lock which allow you to lock or unlock either wheel, to allow easier turning of the unit. Locking both wheels means power will be sent to both wheels. Unlocking one means that wheel will be free-wheeling while the other is driven (the condition you're reporting).

Look at the the wheel on the left side (the one that does not turn). You will see a pin through the outside end of the axle (outside of the left wheel).

Pull this pin out and replace it in hole in the collar of the wheel. This will pin the wheel to the axle, driving the wheel.

Search this Thread