Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need some help 179 cc OHV Sears snow blower

ND

01-04-14, 10:21 AM   #1  
Need some help 179 cc OHV Sears snow blower

Purchased a new Sears model # 247 889571 24 inch 179ccOHV snow blower in Nov 2010. Ran great since I got it and last spring before storing ran it down to little or no gas put a cap of seafoam in the gas tank and changed oil. Have had issues with it since I took it out this fall. Changed the plug with a NGK new plug as what was in there. It runs for awhile then stops very hard to restart. Took it to my repair man and he went through it and replaced plug with another brand and said it ran fine. Just used it and it stopped on me a few times and would restart but had to be careful not to prime it too much to restart it. Just quit while sitting on driveway idling. Very frustrating and also repairman called Sears for some specs but wouldn't give him any and closest Sears has no on site repairman. Kind of lame. Anyone know any specs for valves etc that he could try and have read here about un hooking the safety key wire. Any ideas specs etc would be greatly appreciated as it is winter and we have a bunch of snow and my back is sore from shoveling. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

NJ

01-04-14, 10:31 AM   #2  
Moved to own thread............................ Welcome to the forums... Someone should reply shortly to assist you...

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

MO

01-04-14, 12:56 PM   #3  
Hmm, the sears site doesn't show what engine is on it. Maybe it will clear itself, mix 2oz of seafoam in a pint of fuel let it set and run for about 20 minutes,shut it off, let it set for about 30 minutes then run it dry. Have a good one. Geo

CO

01-05-14, 12:10 PM   #4  
I don't know if you are aware but your Sears snow thrower was built by MTD. MTD model number 31AS62EE799. Any MTD dealer can get parts & specifications. The engine is an MTD engine model 265-SU made in china by Zongshen.

Intake valve lash is .003-.005
Exhaust valve lash is .005-.007

OH

01-06-14, 08:48 AM   #5  
Was the replacement plug gapped to spec (I'm guessing .030")? I have a 3 yr old Cub Cadet 526 SWE. I've been adding SeaFoam to all its fuel since I bought it. I store it wet meaning I don't drain the gas. Haven't had any problems but I've not changed the plug.

Search this Thread