Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh only (barely) running with full choke


b7labelle's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
MI

01-05-14, 10:37 AM   #1  
Tecumseh only (barely) running with full choke

Hello everyone,

I have a Tore Snow Blower with a Tecumseh model HMSK80 engine. This unit is approx. 13 years old.

Currently it is barely running and it takes me a hour and a half to clear a 30 ft driveway....only reason i don't grab a shovel is its easier on my back. It only runs on full choke, and at the engine speed surges quite badly at any other choke position. After fully choking it the surge slowly goes away and I can start clearing snow. The blower is only capable of handling a very small load otherwise it will stall. Only way to stop stall is to open choke 100%, return to the surging behavior, then slowly close the choke. Have to engage snow auger very slowly otherwise engine will enter stall again. Same with engaging the drive belt to begin moving the blower forward.

I have taken the carb off and cleaned any little hole/nozzle I can see. There are 3 holes on the bowl nut that i stuck a little wire in a sprayed carb cleaner through. I do not believe my carb is adjustable. On the carb casting there appears to be 5002-G2U inscribed.

I have been searching the interweb and have seen a lot of conflicting advice. My current thinking is that the engine is running too LEAN, since it only holds an idle with the choke fully closed. I have double checked all the linkages, and they are correct.

I believe my problem is a fuel delivery issue within the carb, not a fuel delivery issue to the carb from the tank. The bowl is full of fuel when I remove the nut.

I know this blower needs an oil change, and I have replaced the spark plug. Old one was fouled very badly. There is no air filter housing...This was given to me by my father and I don't know why he removed it...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-B7

 
Sponsored Links
aj-allen's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 467
CO

01-05-14, 11:46 AM   #2  
You are correct Your carb is lean. It needs to be cleaned better with replacement of O-rings & gaskets. This carb is similar to yours & will give you the info you need to clean yours:

Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Tecumseh Series 1 Emission Carb 640084B

Carb kit is 632760B Carb is part number 640052

Snow engines do not have air filters but there should be a cover over the carb to help keep it warmer and snow from entering the engine.

 
b7labelle's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
MI

01-05-14, 01:38 PM   #3  
Thanks. Where are you pulling that carb part number information from?

-B7

 
geogrubb's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,333
MO

01-05-14, 03:20 PM   #4  
Before you start taking it apart drain the old gas and mix 2oz of seafoam in a pint of fuel, start it and let it run for about 20 minutes, shut it off and let it set for 30 minutes then restart and let it run dry, it may clean itself. Have a good one. Geo

 
aj-allen's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 467
CO

01-05-14, 06:16 PM   #5  
From the number you posted 5002 is the manufacture number. Any Tecumseh dealer can cross it.

 
b7labelle's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
MI

01-06-14, 07:57 AM   #6  
Gotcha, thanks. That was pretty hard to read.

 
b7labelle's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
MI

03-02-14, 02:16 PM   #7  
Figured I'd post an update for anyone looking for this info in the coming winters like I did this year..

Issue ended up being the carb needed to be cleaned. Don't go the solvent soaking route unless you are replacing all the o rings..

Bought a small set of Torch tip cleaners, which are basically tiny files and cleaned out any and all orifices I could find. I also widened up the fuel meter hole just a tiny, tiny amount. Double check the float height is 11/64" using a drill bit. Replaced the gasket at back end of carb, toward manifold. Now runs with no choke. Actually backfires a little bit at idle... Probably widened up the meter hole too much. Oh well, they're like 2 bucks for a new one.

Now I can clear my driveway at the maximum speed setting, without any stalling. It's beast.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

 
Search this Thread