Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

TORO CCR 24540 Snowthrower

CANADA

01-05-14, 10:58 AM   #1  
TORO CCR 24540 Snowthrower

I have a TORO ccr 2450 blower.

Nice snowblower. This one has the plastic carb on it.

The engione is not runnnig at proper idle speed. When I move the throttle, the engine revs up nicely. It looks to me that the spring and the governor are not working together properly. The governor should request more RPM and work with the Srping in order to ensure the RPM does not wind up too highl.

I am not feeling any tension at all between the spring and the governor. I can move the thorttle back and forth at will and niether the spring or the governor ar pulling back.

Any ideas what this could be? Is there something wring with the governor?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

01-12-14, 07:11 AM   #2  

Hello granatnl. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Kindly excuse the long delay waiting to get some problem solving advice on the question you posted.

I have no idea why your question remains unanswered......Hopefully, very soon, a small engine service tech, another member whom once had a like or similar condition and/or forum moderator will respond with some possible causes and possible solutions for the problem condition described...

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

NH

02-05-14, 09:22 PM   #3  
Toro 2450 low idle, low power.

I have the same snow blower and the same problem. Its about 4 or 5 years old. No problem starting, but idles low and has no power. as soon as i put a load on it, slows right down and stalls. I took apart the carb and cleaned it thoroughly. I also drained the fuel and replaced with fresh. when I manually increase the throttle it revs right up and seems to run great. I think its something to do with that part/spring or the governor rod.

any ideas?

Group Moderator

NJ

02-05-14, 09:36 PM   #4  
I have a Toro too. An older one with a metal carb.

The governors can be tricky to setup and are always a source of confusion.

You should be able to slide the throttle up and hear the governor slow it down just when it gets to the highest speed. If you can see the governor linkage try pushing it so that the engine speeds up. You should immediately feel pressure trying to slow it down.

Usually the cause of the engine to slow down and lose power quickly is too lean a fuel setting.
Possibly since you have the plastic carb it's not adjustable. Try closing the choke a tiny bit and see if that helps.

NH

02-06-14, 07:12 AM   #5  
I can manually throttle up by pushing on the linkage and feel very slight pressure to slow it down. when i let go, it slows down and idles even lower idle until it settles back into a relatively slow idle.

I dont see any adjustable parts on the plastic carb that I have. I tried the choke half way, it didnt seem to make a difference. if I push it all the way (on) then it gradually runs even worse. I'm sure it would stall if I left it on.

how does the governor work? does it have anything to do with the idle pulley or belt? the blower is in excellent condition and never had any service done to it. its 4 years old and relatively light use.

If I bent that metal arm that attache to the spring, would it pull the governor rod to open the throttle more? is there any other way to adjust?
thanks for your help.
Mike.

NH

02-06-14, 01:13 PM   #6  
I have been searching online for more information on the governor for these snow blowers and found the service manual. go to page 32 of 65 of this link and begin reading the section titled Governor Theory. Then find the section that covers R-Tec engines (thats what I have) it describes the process of adjusting the idle speed via the governor. you bend that tab that holds the spring and it adjusts the speed. I don't have a tachometer, so will hopefully not blow up my motor trying to throw the snow 50'!

NH

02-06-14, 01:16 PM   #7  
opps forgot the link for my previous post

here it is: http://www.biodsl.com/fsm/Duraforce_...ual.pdf#page24

Group Moderator

NJ

02-06-14, 07:53 PM   #8  
Thanks..... that's a pretty interesting link. Very informative

NH

02-13-14, 07:27 PM   #9  
plastic carb replacement

I completely took apart and cleaned the carb thoroughly with carb cleaner spray. it had no effect. I tried bending the tab that holds the spring to pull the throttle open, also did not work.
I then talked to a guy that worked for a snow removal company that has a bunch of these machines and asked him. first think he asked me was "does it have the plastic carb?" when I said yes, he said you have to get the new metal carb. he seemed to know a lot about these and said they were made by LawnBoy originally and they used the plastic carb, but the Ethenal in the fuel deteriorated the plastic parts and they swell and moving parts don't fit. I was skeptical when i found out it was $120 for the new carb, but with the storm coming, i figured i'd be happy if it worked. it did. when I compared the movement on the throttle tab of the new carb to the plastic one, it definitely was a little sticky compared to the metal carb.
I'm just happy I got it going for today and wanted to share incase anyone else was experiencing the same problem. its super easy to do it yourself. once you get the plastic cover off, its two screws to remove the carb, remove the main fuel line and the primer fuel line, then the throttle linkage/spring. and finally remove the screw that holds the choke lever to replace it on the new carb. took me 10 minutes tops, and the metal carb is easy to remove the bowl for emptying and storing for the summer. hope that helps.

Search this Thread