Toro CCR Powerlite Starter Issues

Old 01-05-14, 02:19 PM
Toro CCR Powerlite Starter Issues

Hi gang

I have two starter issues on a Toro CCR Powerlite-E, Model 38175. Has a Tecumseh HSK600 two cycle engine. It has always run like a champ.

Issue 1: The electric starter is not engaging. I just get a high pitched grating sound. So, I took the upper shroud off and located the pinion gear on the starter motor shaft. It rotates out to the correct position, but when I hold it there and rotate the pinion, I find its teeth mostly miss the flywheel ring gear.

I assume this means the pinion teeth are worn down, and therefore I should replace the pinion. Correct? (The pinion doesn't look beat up or have broken teeth, but... the teeth don't quite catch.)

Issue 2: Recently when starting the unit, the recoil starter pull rope pulled all the way out, but then it would not retract (only retracted about a foot of rope. That was actually enough to start the engine and I would just wrap the rope around the handle while snow-throwing.)

While I had the upper cover off, I rewound the rope by rotating the recoil by hand. Now, it retracts all but about a foot of the rope. Any ideas on how to rewind it so ALL of the rope retracts? I see that the recoil cover is riveted to the engine...doesn't look too serviceable!!

Thanks.

-- Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-14, 04:40 AM
As far as the pull starter it looks like that is sold as an assembly for about $40.00. If you remover the starter shroud and you can get into the rope/pulley/spring, the spring is likely either broken off or disconnected from its little slot. You can throw out the broken piece of that type of starter, regrind the end and stick it back together, preloading the spring so it'll retract the rope all the way. If you can't get into it from the back side, the whole pull starter needs replaced.

In terms of the electric starter, if the teeth are worn down those parts have to be replaced for the fix, whether it be in the pinion, the flywheel starter ring or the starter itself.

The pinion, conventionally is mounted on the shaft with a spiral groove in the shaft. The starter shaft spins and drives the pinion up the shaft to engage the flywheel. Sometimes the spiral gets clogged and simply cleaning and lubing the shaft with a graphite will take care of it.

Old 01-06-14, 12:20 PM
Thanks Marbobj.

The recoil starter housing is riveted right on to the engine so I am not sure how to get in there. If I drill out the rivets then I am not too well equipped to reattach it later.

The spring does work, and has good tension on it, but for whatever reason I cannot get the last foot of rope to retract, even after I rotated the reel by hand to get it back in. It's not a big deal for now, and will be even less of an issue if I can get the electric starter to work!

Re: the starter, the spiral action of the shaft is working and the pinion sits in the right position, but its teeth don't engage well when I rotate it by hand. (Teeth engage a little--enough to cause the racket I hear when operating the starter button.) I think the flywheel gear are okay, so I'll start by replacing the pinion and see if that resolves it.

Thanks again!

--G.

Old 01-06-14, 01:47 PM
Are you sure the pull start isn't just riveted to the removable shroud and if you unbolt that the recoil may be exposed from the backside?

The thing you're seeing with the recoil is typical of a spring that slipped out. When they do they lose one revolution of tension and the rope isn't pulled back.

Old 01-06-14, 04:19 PM
I posted in error and don't know how to delete it. Have a good one. Geo

Last edited by geogrubb; 01-06-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 09:40 AM
Marbobj,

You may be right. I didn't remove the entire cover because I didn't want to disattach fuel line, etc, at that time. I will empty the fuel tank and get the cover off completely so I can get at the pinion better, and at that time will see about taking off the removable shroud.