Craftsman Snow Blower Won't Start After it Ran??

Old 01-05-14, 04:15 PM
Craftsman Snow Blower Won't Start After it Ran??

Hi everyone,

New to the site so hope I am doing this correctly LOL. I got a used Craftsman Snow blower from a friend model #247.88700 and I just used it and got all the way done and the thing stalled out and will not restart. I checked and I have gas but did notice that while it was running it was glowing orange hot and some sparks were shooting out the side. Don't think that is normal so let it cool down and it won't restart so think the electronic throttle box is fried or the choke box is fried. Anyone know about a snow blower running for a long time then just die and not restart anymore and what the problem is?? I need this thing working like now with all this snow we are getting!

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-14, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there oil in it?
Where was the sparks coming from?
Pulled the plug out to see what color it is yet.
It should be clean or brown. If it's white something's causing it to run to lean.
Checked to see if it's getting spark?

Old 01-06-14, 08:18 AM
Yep oil in it. Pulled the plug and its clean. Touched the plug terminal to the block and tried pull starting it and no spark. Plug does have a rust ring around the ceramic by the hexagon but not on the terminal or on the plug end. So would think the plug is okay and think it is the electric throttle still. As for the sparks I'll have to go look again. Believe it was coming from the right side of the motor so not sure if it was the breather or exhaust that was glowing orange.

Old 01-06-14, 08:44 AM
Is the oil new or thick, dirty? A friend of mine has an 8 yr old Craftsman snow thrower that exhibited similar symptoms. His started to rev high and the muffler actually shot off the thrower. He's never done any maintenance including changing the oil. I'm guessing the muffler was what was glowing orange?

Old 01-06-14, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
What was glowing orange hot? I hope it was the muffler.

Try a new spark plug and make sure the spark plug wire/boot clips down snugly onto the new plug. If it still does not spark with the new plug it could be a bad coil. They tend to fail when hot but before rushing out to get a coil I would verify if you are getting spark to the end of the spark plug wire.

Old 01-06-14, 02:10 PM
Yeah it was the muffler and I thought it was running at a very high rpm as well. So start with changing the plug. What is the best way to the plug? I'm not sure if I tested it right.
If the plug fires when I test it right then its not the coil. If I test it right and a new plug doesn't fire then it needs a new coil.
As for the oil it does look a bit dirty but didn't think it was bad but will change it if that is what contributes it to be idling at the high rpm. I did notice that when i pushed the throttle lever down to try and get it to idle down it wouldnt.

Old 01-06-14, 02:16 PM
Old 01-06-14, 02:44 PM
yep thats it. Model 247.88700

Old 01-06-14, 04:08 PM
Okay just bought a new spark plug and tried it and nothing. I just noticed that the ignition key is not in the socket. Is there a way to stick something in there to make sure the switch is made so I can start it (bypass)? I am never going to find the key if it was in there in the first place. I bought this used off my neighbor.

Old 01-06-14, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
If there is a issue with the ignition switch it's possible the thing is simply "off".

Hopefully others more knowledgeable will be along to offer specifics but on many simple machines like this the ignition switch operates differently than you may think. They work by shorting the ignition coil to ground when in the off position. No contacts are made in the run position and in the start position it tells the starter to turn. So, when in doubt disconnecting the wires and not letting them touch ground will allow the engine to run.