Honda HS521 single stage snowblower not starting.

Old 01-07-14, 08:50 AM
Honda HS521 single stage snowblower not starting.

So I am looking at my dads single stage Honda. When I pull the cord seems like there is a bit of slack in the line. Seems like there is some compression? Rather loose in my opoinion? I was wondering if it may also be the ratchet dogs on the pull starter tab?
I believe there is gas and spark!
advise on next trouble shooting steps.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-14, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Are you trying to debug the pull starter mechanism or are you having trouble with the engine not running?

When pulling on the starter cord it will be easy to pull for a bit but you should feel the engine come up against compression and the cord will be harder to pull. So when starting pull the cord until you feel that stiffer resistance then give it a good pull for starting.

Old 01-07-14, 12:39 PM
pilot Dane thanks I never STARTED this model and was not sure if that felling you explained was normal.
now I can focus on engine.

Old 01-21-14, 06:45 AM
Still no start?? on Snowblower Honda HS521

Still no luck in starting this Blower. GAS SPARK Seems good, Compression is Good? Going to buy a new plug anyway? Any suggestions in next step would be welcomed.thx

Old 01-21-14, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
What does "GAS SPARK seems good" mean? The spark is pretty easy to check & see by removing the plug and looking for the spark but are you certain the carburetor is working properly and getting fuel into the engine?

Try removing the spark plug and put a teaspoon of gas directly into the cylinder. Re-install the spark plug, connect the plug wire and try starting it. If after several pulls you get some firing or sputtering like the engine is trying to run then it's a good indication of a carburetor problem which is very common as the internal passages and jets are easily clogged by stale/old gasoline. If it is a carb problem best would be to remove it, disassemble, soak in carb cleaner for several hours, clean all the parts & re-assemble.