Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Separate generator from motor on Honda EP6500S

PA

01-25-14, 08:31 AM   #1  
Separate generator from motor on Honda EP6500S

I need to take the generator from a Honda EP6500S to be rewound, but can't get it loose from the motor. I have removed all the long screws holding the generator to the flywheel housing: four external, two internal, and the long heavy center bolt. The gas tank is removed and the generator is loose from the rubber chassis mounts. I was assuming the generator would slide away from the flywheel, but it is stuck tight. Is this just a matter of knocking it loose with a hammer, or is there somewhere I could pry to get it loose?

Sponsored Links

TX

02-15-14, 02:53 PM   #2  
The Honda engine has a tapered end crankshaft that plugs into a taper socket in generator shaft very similar to tie-rod ends on auto or Morse taper used on machine tools.
Replace the long bolt that goes through generator shaft. Leave it about 1/8" to 1/4" loose. Enlist a helper to pull the generator away from engine and tap the bolt head firmly with a hammer. One or two licks should do the trick.
Hope this helps.
RR

Search this Thread