MTD Yard Machines 10.5 HP won't throw snow

Old 01-25-14, 10:52 PM
MTD Yard Machines 10.5 HP won't throw snow

I ran over a piece of cement while using the snowblower. I watched you tube to help me diagnose my problem and saw that three of four of my sheer pins are gone. I bought the sheer pins and will replace them tomorrow. However, while diagnosing the problem, the machine starts and runs fine but as soon as I press the left handle to start the auger (before I knew what was wrong) it makes a high pitched squeeling sound and shuts off. Nothing in the info I have read says anything about that. Will I be ok replacing the sheer pins. If that doesn't work what I should I look at next? THank you. Im not very mechanical and don't have anyone to help me. I cant afford to take it to a repair place and am hoping to do it myself. We are getting a ton of snow here in Michigan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Inspect the auger and impeller assembly to make sure they are not bent and jamming against or dragging on the housing.

Old 01-26-14, 06:33 AM
The MTD

There might be a piece of that concrete wedged under ether the auger or the impeller. Try to rotate them by hand, with the spark plug wire removed of course.
Sid

Old 01-26-14, 11:24 AM
MTD snowblower saga continues

Hi Guys
Thank you for the advice regarding my getting cement caught in my snow blower. I took your advice and I have completely cleaned out around the augers and the wheel thing in the back. There was a lot of stuff stuck in there. Now everything moves around great. I have to replace three sheer pins. But I cannot figure out how to get them in. There is a whole but it wont go through. I cant figure it out. I double checked that the sheer pins I bought are the same as the one that is still in one auger Can anyone help? It seems simple and I feel stupid. I don't have to take the whole bar off the machine do I?

Old 01-26-14, 02:25 PM
The MYD

You have to rotate the auger, and watch for the holes in the shaft that's inside the auger, then kinda insert the shear pin in the hole and gently tap it in. Part of the old shear pin might be still in the inner shaft, but it should come out as you tap the pin in.
Sid