lawnmower gasoline motor - alternator - battery connections

Old 01-26-14, 12:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lawnmower gasoline motor - alternator - battery connections

Hello,

I am trying to make a remote controlled lawnmower.
It's my first project, so I have some questions that are probably not to difficult to answer..

I want to attach a alternator from a car to the gasoline motor of the lawnmower.
with this electrical power I want to charge a battery, to power the electrical motors for the wheels.

Today I bought a used alternator, but I'm not sure how to connect it (the electrical part):

it's a Bosch 0 120 489 360.
I see following connections:
B+: output voltage?

D+: 2 connections, one next to the B+ and in the other the black square is plugged in?? Is the D+ to power the electromagnet?

W: no idea?

on the white plastic board, is written KE, are the screws on the plastic board connections?

I found this scheme online:

source: http://www.chargerr.com/Alternators/ALT.HTM

my questions:
-are the connections I mentioned correct?

-Is the scheme correct? so I need to connect the negative side of the battery to the casing of the alternator (ground?)?

-Does an alternator regulates its own fieldcurrent? How? I just need to connect it to the battery as shown in the scheme?

Hope someone can help me out..

Thanks,

Old 01-26-14, 01:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't have any answers for you but I do have a couple of questions.

What type of lawnmower? what size engine? how do you intend to hook the drive belt from the alternator to the lawnmower engine?

Old 01-26-14, 03:51 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
marksr,
it s a standard lawnmower (the kind you walk with, but don't sit on), it has 4.5 HP..
for the transmission of the alternator; there is already a pulley connected on the motorshaft, this is connected with a belt to the rear axle to drive the wheels.
I plan to mount the alternator behind the motor so the belt can drive the alternator instead of the rear wheels.
I will take a picture tomorrow, that will be easier.

Old 01-26-14, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 138 Upvotes on 127 Posts
You really should get a cheap AC delco self-exciting one wire alternator. You won't have anything other than one wire going to it.

Old 01-27-14, 05:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
I know a lot can be done with pulley sizes but can you get enough speed out of the rear pulley to adequately power the alternator?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: