Tecumseh Electric Starter Issues

Old 02-04-14, 01:37 PM
Tecumseh Electric Starter Issues

Have a Craftsman 28" Snow-blower [31AE5HTG799 247.88790.0 Ez-Steer] that has a 9 HP [318cc] Tecumseh engine [Mod-LH318SA...on Tecumseh's site, it does not have a "SA" listed, rather an "EA" or HM800-100 [LH318, LH358.]

Last time used, two winters ago, [yes, in Southern Colorado we do not always use them every year as we do not get that much snow...did last night though] the Electric Start worked fine. Probably should add that it is stored in an unheated garage, normal humidity in the summer here is about 9-12%.

This morning, when hooked up to electricity [tried two cords, three plugs] the switch would only make one (1) "click" when button was pushed. Clicked one (1) time with each push. Starter did not make any sound. TOTALLY silent. Appears not to engage/run in any fashion.

Started manually today on the second pull. And that is with really old gas that has had "preservative" added.

Could the starter be "froze" up?

Would appreciate some input, and this is a great site!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 02:24 PM
The starter

Did it hum at all when it clicked. There might be a bad connection. Or maybe try to rotate the starter ether on the engine or off, with the power off of course. I never had a 120 volt starter open, I had plenty 6&12 volt starters open, I used to rebuild, and machine the armatures . Maybe some of the pros will have a look.
Sid

Old 02-05-14, 06:58 AM
Sidny....no hum, nothing but the click can be heard.

Old 02-05-14, 07:01 AM
Thought of this last evening, and think it could be important. This blower is 6 years old. Yesterday was only the fifth [5th] time it has been used.

I read the manual first, and when using the started, I only ran it for 3-4 seconds at a time, maybe two or three times, then let it cool for five minutes.

I really think I babied it, just don't know what is going on with it.

Old 02-05-14, 07:24 AM
The starter

Try to turn it by hand [plyers], it also may need a little oil on each bearing, and the bendix to make it go.
Sid

Old 02-05-14, 07:38 AM
Usually the problem with something like that is at the brushes. They get slightly corroded or aren't making contact like they should. Try tapping the starter at the rear of the casing with a hammer handle while you switch the power on to it.. Use a little discretion - it won't take much.

Old 02-06-14, 11:13 AM
Sidny...

Does it need to be removed from the engine first? If so, I will try that after tapping as suggested by marbobj in #6.

Old 02-06-14, 12:43 PM
The starter

Only if you can't get at it without removing it.
Sid

Search this Thread