Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snow Blower Problem

IL

02-05-14, 05:20 PM   #1  
Snow Blower Problem

I just ran into a big issue with my Ariens 2 stage ST824E snow blower this afternoon. It started OK but when I went to start the snow thrower part it started screaming(like when belts are slipping) and when I fully engaged the level the engine completely died out. I tried this several times with the same result. I checked to see if something was caught in the moving parts and nothing was caught in any of the auger part or the whirling part that throws the snow.
I thought it may be frozen so I heated up the auger gearcase and that did not help.

I checked the gear case oil and the owner's manual said that it should be filled to the drain plug level. Nothing came out when I took out the drain plug. I then tipped it forward and still nothing. It also said that if there is no evidence of leakage that you should not have to add any oil.

I am afraid that the auger gearcase may have run out of oil and the gears are now ruined.

Can anyone help me on what I might do to get this thing working. I don't have any gear oil on hand so I could not add any. If the gears ran dry it there any way to make them workable again or am I in for a big repair bill?

Also, I just used the snowblower 4 days ago and it ran fine without a hint of a problem.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this issue!

Sponsored Links

NY

02-05-14, 06:52 PM   #2  
You sir, are the proud owner of an Ariens piece of junk! I and my son both have the model 824 both with broken transmissions that have been repaired before. His gear box also leaked, but he discovered it before any damage took place.

Lets be sure the about the gear box. Remove the drive belt that drives the transmission and auger section. Does the engine run smooth and steady? When the machine is off and in neutral can you move the auger by hand and does the impeller also move? If you can't move the augers by hand then I'd say the gear box is trash.

Is it worth fixing? If you can do it yourself, yes. But if you have to bring it in, it's probably not worth it. Buy a new machine at the cheapest price you can find. BUT DO NOT BUY AN ARIENS! They are no better than the cheapest unit currently on the market and will only last a short period of time before parts break and wear out.

I have not looked at my 824 yet due to the cold weather, but I'm currently using a late 1960's Ariens snow thrower. Back then they were very high quality. That unit starts 1st time every time and can go through ice and snow that the 824 can't move.

IL

02-05-14, 08:16 PM   #3  
Norm,

Thank you for the reply. How do I remove the drive belt? I don't know how to do to much of this type of thing or even know where the drive belt is.

Thanks.

NY

02-06-14, 05:11 AM   #4  
Hopperhop,

With your last reply I suggest you don't even try. Some of us are mechanically inclined and others not so. No shame in that and not to worry. I suggest you take it in and get an estimate to fix vs a new unit. Take it to an authorized Ariens dealer, not a big box store. You might find a used one at a decent price through Graig's List or the Penny Saver. Good luck.

BTW... the drive belt is located between the engine and the handlebars. Its a plastic cover that can be removed with two screws on either side at the bottom. Look at you manual and you'll see an exploded parts list.

MN

02-06-14, 10:41 AM   #5  
Before you throw it over a cliff I'd check a few other things first.

I thought it may be frozen so I heated up the auger gearcase and that did not help.
Usually when they freeze up it is snow in the impeller or auger melted then re-froze. That possible? Be sure to run it clean before shutting it down. If you have any sun put it down on the handle bars and point it into the sun for some heat. Might work. Also check there isn't a small rock or something stuck in there.

I just used the snowblower 4 days ago and it ran fine without a hint of a problem.
Not sure, I have a Toro, but I'd think if you ran it without anything in the gearcase it would strip the gears, not seize up. Could be wrong about that, never had it happen.

Search this Thread