Craftsman Snow Thrower 247.883550 Auger not turning

Old 02-06-14, 07:19 PM
Craftsman Snow Thrower 247.883550 Auger not turning

Shear pins in place. Auger cable tension seems ok. Belt turning on pulleys when lever held down. Auger was turning sporadically, but not turning at all now. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-14, 05:24 AM
The Craftsman

Can you turn the augers by hand when the machine is stopped?
Sid

Old 02-08-14, 11:15 AM
No. I cannot turn the auger by hand when the machine has stopped.

Old 02-08-14, 02:50 PM
The Craftsman

Try rotating the large pulley that is attached to the impeller shaft. If it turns, the impeller should turn, also the auger should turn, or maybe you can reach the impeller, and try to rotate it, also the auger should turn. Make sure the auger speed control is in neutral. If it still doesn't turn, it may be the gear box on the auger shaft or one or both outer auger bearings, or the bearing on the impeller shaft. The gearbox may be dry, a little light oil temporarily might free it up. If it is the outboard bearings, a few drops if oil may actually free them up. The impeller shaft bearing may not be fixable if it's seized. It is certainly worth a look.
Sid

Old 02-10-14, 06:59 PM
I don't have an auger speed control. Only an auger lever for stop and go. I lubricated the gear box on the auger shaft and the outboard bearings, but can only turn impeller about 1/8 turn. Started thrower and help auger lever, but belt started to smoke. Seized impeller shaft bearing? Or a problem with another part?

Old 02-11-14, 05:25 AM
The Craftsman

I should have said make sure the auger/impeller drive/belt is free/not engaged. It may well be the impeller shaft bearing. Are you sure that neither the auger, or the impeller are not touching the body of the blower, or are their any stones jamming anything?
Sid

Old 02-11-14, 05:36 AM
The Craftsman

I just reread your last post. If you can turn the impeller an 1/8 of a turn, you should see the augers turn slightly also. Rotate the impeller each way, then try to turn the augers, if they don't turn at all, it might be the gear box or the outboard bearings. When you looked in the gearbox, was there any lubricant in it?
Sid