Gas squirting from mower engine primer bulb

Old 05-29-07, 09:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Gas squirting from mower engine primer bulb

I have a John Deere push mower with a 5HP B&S engine. It's been stored for a couple of years. The gas was drained and the excess run out before it was stored.

I'm trying to get it running again. When I filled it w/gas, it started spurting out of the primer bulb. I think this hole is supposed to be there and it's not just rotted.

If so, my assumption is that something is stuck in the carb. Can I spray it with cleaner? I'd rather not remove it and soak it but I can do that if I need to. Any thoughts? Is it now 'flooded' and I need to remove it anyway?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-07, 12:37 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It will require removing the carb most likely. It could be just debris or some corrosion keeping the float from closing the needle valve, or it could be the float leaking, filling with fuel and not floating. Shake the float and listen for sloshing, if not then clean or replace needle and seat.

Old 05-29-07, 02:19 PM
S
Thanks for the reply.

Went to the local B&S provider and got the gasket kit. They were out of stock on the carb rebuild kit. I took the carb off and sprayed everything with carb cleaner and put it back together.

Good news, no gas coming out of the bulb. Float probably was stuck.

Bad news, nothing happening. No sign of life. It is sparking, but not any sign of ignition.

Thoughts?

THanks!

Old 05-29-07, 02:41 PM
S
OK, some additional information:

Engine is a 12f702-0616

Take off the air cleaner and housing and loosen screw on the bottom of the carb bowl and there's gas starts leaking out, so there's gas in the bowl.

Spray some carb clear in the carb and it'll fire up for 1-2 seconds while it burns the cleaner, then nothing.

So, it sounds like I do need to rebuild the carb as everything else seems to be OK. Is it possible to have too much buildup that carb cleaner won't take care of the problem?

Old 05-29-07, 03:26 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Clean the bolt that holds the bowl on, out. This is your main jet and has passages that need to be clean to allow the fuel to get into the air stream.

Old 05-29-07, 03:53 PM
S
Yup, did that too. The bottom of the bowl had a lot of varnish, so I guess that bolt could be the culprit if it it's so bad it won't clean with the spray.

Took the bowl off to check the float and make sure it didn't have a hole in it.

Just at a loss. Not even trying to start. I guess there's something clogged to the point that even vigorous spraying of carb cleaner won't take care of it. Unless there's something else that I'm just not seeing.

Everything just looks fine. I hate to have to take it somewhere after spending all this time on it.

Old 05-29-07, 03:57 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You might need compressed air but I am almost certain the bolt/main jet is the problem. You might use some fine wire like guitar string or welding tip cleaners or soak it to get it clean but it should. Compressed air usually unplugs it after some spray and poking at it.

Old 05-29-07, 05:23 PM
S
SUCCESS!

Yes, it was that bolt at the bottom of the bowl. More carb cleaner, a piece of wire and compressed air.

Sorry for another question, but it runs fine but I need to turn up the throttle. The RPM isn't high enough. Is there an adjustment for that?

Old 02-08-14, 12:08 PM
D
Great post - it really helped me

I had the same starting problem. After having the mower sit for 2.5 years dry, it squirted gas out of the primer. After replacing the primer, which in reflection was useless, I found this posting. I removed the carb bowl and cleaned the float and the bowl's bottom bolt. I cleaned the bolt with a small safety pin until I could easily blow through it. It worked like a charm after reassembly.

Old 02-08-14, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Thanks Dave and welcome... this is an old thread so I am closing it... Please start a new thread...

Thanks...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: