Simplicity snow blower starter grinding model 1691011

Old 02-15-14, 11:54 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Simplicity snow blower starter grinding model 1691011

I have a simplicity 5hp snow thrower. Model 1691011. Was clearing the driveway one day when it started having trouble restarting. It's a pull/electric starter. Started up great first try. Then noticed some grinding when I tried to restart it later. Checked oil level and it was full. It seems the starter is shot. Also tried elec start, same grinding noise. Removed pull starter and manually spun gear, still grinding.

Is it too difficult to change a starter? Is there some other trouble shooting I can try? Or do I need a whole new motor? Also, do I have to get the same motor? Or are there comparable ones?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Old 02-15-14, 05:55 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
It's not difficult to change the electric starter. Usually two or three bolts hold them on. On occasion a bolt may be a little stubborn.

I'm understanding the grinding is when you try the electric start and you took off the pull start. Then in trying the electric the grinding persisted? Logic would point toward the starter motor being done.

The biggest obstacle is likely the cost of the starter. Some of those things get up there. Something on ebay item would probably be the best bet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: