Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hard start Tecumseh in cold temps

NY

02-13-14, 05:18 PM   #1  
Hard start Tecumseh in cold temps

I have 1999 Generac generator Mdl PP5000T which is powered by a Tecumseh 10 HP HM-100 159436P engine with a 12 VDC electric start. It has served me well over the years as power outage backup here in the north east. I have never really had any problems with it until this year. I live in upstate NY and this winter has been especially cold the coldest I've seen in a number of years in fact. I normally run it once a month just to keep things working, however this past winter I have had a hard time starting it in very cold temps, in fact the starter gasped it's last breath trying to start it.

In also own a Yard Man snow thrower, which is also powered by a Tecumseh 10 HP HMSK 100 Snow King engine. The snow thrower has never given me a days trouble starting even on the coldest of days. On this particular engine however the carb has a priming bulb, aside from this the engines look almost identical at least to me.

FYI, I removed and cleaned the carb, checked and reset the solid state ignition spacing, replaced the spark plug and put fresh gas in tank.

I was wondering if replacing the HM100 carb P/N 640129 with the HMSK carb P/N 632370A would eliminate the cold temp start problem? It seems like the priming bulb on the Snow King engine is the key to starting in very cold temps, or am I being simplistic in my assumption? Any thoughts or suggestions regarding a solution to the hard start in cold temp condition would be appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-13-14, 09:58 PM   #2  
Check to see if your choke is closing fully. If so, you might be better served by just keeping a can of starting fluid nearby to aid in starting on the coldest days. I can't imagine that you would need it often enough on the coldest of days that a new carb would pay for itself over buying a couple cans of ether. A can would last probably the life of the unit, unless you are using this thing an awful lot. I think this engine has an updraft intake which makes it a bit harder to start cold.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

02-14-14, 08:20 AM   #3  
The choke closes fully and you are correct about the updraft intake, I think they did that so as to clear the gas tank which sits on top of the unit. Even with the use of starting fluid starting it in very cold temps is very difficult. I never thought about the updraft intake until you mentioned it and after thinking about it, installing a carb with a primer may not fix the problem because of the design of the intake???

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-14-14, 10:18 PM   #4  
The updraft style is usually a bit harder to start in cold weather in my experience. I don't know that a primer would help if starting fluid doesn't even work. Maybe try a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole and if it still is hard to start, I'd say there's another reason.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

02-16-14, 07:53 PM   #5  
I checked the carb set up on both the HMSK100 snow king and the HM100, the intakes are exactly the same on both engines, updraft type. If the primer bulb works on the snow king I don't see why it wouldn't work on the HM100?

Search this Thread