Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hi all! Ariens ST824s Question

ME

02-15-14, 03:58 PM   #1  
Hi all! Ariens ST824s Question

Well....I have gotten a lot of help from this site just by reading others postings...now I have an issue with my snowblower that I cannot figure out and would like someone who might know a little more about it help me troubleshoot and solve this problem...

I got a "3rd hand" Ariens ST824s from a friend who didnt need it..first year it worked like a boss...just had to tweak the carb and fuel flow and use a lot of SeaFoam and Stabil fuel additive to keep it running smooth..this year I had a tune up done on it and it starts on first pull and runs great with new carb kit.

I have found that when snow blowing, once there is an amount of snow taken in, the auger will stop moving (the second stage inside still blows snow). I thought that it might be very old auger belt...so just replaced it...now when i engage the auger it sounds like i just kicked a dog! I am hoping that it needs a little time to break in...BUT...auger still stops when a certain amount of snow(of any type other than powder) is taken in...checked the Shear Pins...they are good to go...no squealing when auger stops, so as far as i know, the belt is not slipping...engine is NOT bogged down when this happens...I can stop, throw it in reverse, engage clutch and it will work until it chokes on snow again

So...can anyone give me a direction to go in? I really do not know what the heck is keeping the auger from moving...

Thanks in advance, you guys rock!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

02-15-14, 04:19 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums..... officially.

I don't have good news for you. If the blower inside the housing is spinning normally but the auger slows down or stops then you have a bad gearbox. A very common problem if the gearbox hasn't been kept full of grease.

Name:  Ariens.JPG
Views: 2952
Size:  47.7 KB

A little info on the gearbox.
Parts and Diagrams for Ariens 924082-000101 ST824, 8hp Tec., 24" Blower

NY

02-16-14, 07:06 AM   #3  
I don't mean to sound like broken record, but the Arien's 824 is perhaps the worst designed snowthrow ever. Yes the gear box is low on fluid or stripped gears. Be sure about the belt. Is it the right size and the right tension?

PA

02-23-14, 05:43 AM   #4  
my God

fellas, you really need to do more HANDS ON repair and assembly to machines and engines, and build a database in your mind. First off, Sea Foam and Stabil aren't "tweaking" anything. A 12 year old girl can pour that in the gas tank or spray it on a carb.

#2, the Ariens snowblower is a VERY WELL built snowblower, amongst the best and sturdiest ever made. It is the one that gets the most hits in the snowblower forums, proving just how popular they are. They get 2x the hits that Honda snowblowers get.

#3, the OIL LEVEL in the front auger drive unit, has NOTHING to do with the auger turning or not. What it does control is, how long the auger will LAST due to lubrication. Just filling it up won't make it then start working, which is what some of these replies seemed to imply.

Just have the gear changed in the front auger drive box, at your local power equipment center, or DO IT YOURSELF. It's not that difficult. If you can't do it, then you should not be working on anything mechanical in the first place. The auger drive gear is bronze and is sacrificial, it is a wearing part that eventually needs to be changed out. It is a job on par with a 9th grade metal shop or Voc-Tech auto shop skill challenge level. A high school kid could do it. When we were in high school, we were changing V8 engines and transmissions in Chevys and Pontiacs.

what happened to you guys ?

NY

02-23-14, 07:08 AM   #5  
#2, the Ariens snowblower is a VERY WELL built snowblower, amongst the best and sturdiest ever made.

The auger drive gear is bronze and is sacrificial, it is a wearing part that eventually needs to be changed out.

what happened to you guys ?
I must dis-agree with almost everything you say. I don't know how much experience you have with Ariens nor do I care, but I have had a lot and I know for a fact that Ariens is only living on a name from the past. It's not they are any worse than your bottom of the line units, itís just that they are no better and certainly not worth the asking price.

Iím going to jump around bit here as the thoughts pop into my head. The 824 is perhaps the worst machine ever made. For instance...The auger axle is very poorly supported by small indentations in the housing. Once they wear out, you have no way of fixing it. I know , I've been there, not once but several times. The old units were supported by the heavy gauge metal housing and bearing housing using bolts.

The chute is supported and rotated on a stalk that sits high on the machine with lots of joints and very high stress. Coupled with a plastic gear that strips out very easily (and cost $20 to replace only to have strip out in just a few years again). The sheet metal used on today's machine are very thin compared to that of yesteryear. It's not unusual to see a warped or bent housing. The rakes are so thin I can bend then just using my hands.

Compare these items with the Ariens from the pre 1980's era (specifically the 1960's and 70's or before). Nothing could stop those machines. And many are still running including one I have from the late 60's (H50 and another that I donít remember the model). The chute is low and controlled from a crank with only one joint and is directly attached to the lower section of housing with large all metal ring gear. The chute discharge angle adjustment uses a large easy to handle wing nut that once tightened stays tightened. The housing and rakes are heavy gauge metal that can withstand abuse and very hard ice. My old 60ís machine can out perform the 824 in both throwing distance and non stalling due to heavy or over packed snow and ice. Iíve had to replace the friction wheel twice on the 824. Never on the old H50 unit. The gear box should not be a wear item. Not in the old units. Never had a concern. The newer units, yes they are wear item (???). The runner skids have never been replaced on the H50. Replaced several times on the 824. I could go on about other design features, but I won't.

Now how do I get off saying all this based on one 824 and one H50? Because its not just one 824 or H50. But several in our family. Both my son and son-in-law have failed 824ís within a 10 year span and all the same failures as mentioned above. I have two old H50ís or similar with never a problem other than normal care.

On the other side of the issueÖTodayís machines are a lot safer and have more convenience, but at a lose of quality. Todayís machine are lighter. And dollar for dollar more affordable. But are they better? Not in my opinion.

Bottom line, they just arenít made like they use to be. Nor can they be and sell at a reasonable price. Plus Ariens could well be out of business if they were to build them to last. IfI ever buy another snow thrower, I will buy the cheapest bottom of the line available with full knowledge that it will fail within a short period of time (very likely within warranty). Then just buy another. I'm too old to be fixing thing that should not break.

IA

02-23-14, 07:26 AM   #6  
A lot of information you see here comes from experienced repair shops who work on these things daily. The input comes from all over the US, Canada and on occasion, Europe. There is rarely a problem presented here that comes up short for an answer.

This is a DIY Forum where professionals take time to help people out. Sometimes, that comes from someone who had a similar problem and is sharing that information. Regardless of source, it's all shared in the spirit of helping someone - and that's a good idea.

02-25-14, 12:35 PM   #7  
I don't want to jump into the middle of a pissing contest, but if the impeller is turning and the augers aren't, couldn't it be nothing more than the shear bolts have sheared and only look OK?

NY

02-25-14, 01:15 PM   #8  
The ST824s

The brass gear in the auger gear box wasn't made to be a sacrificial part, they usually put gears of different metals because they won't gaul or wear out each other, of course if the lubricant leaks out, or dries up [grease] the softer material will fail. I have a 47 year blower with a brass, and a steel gear and they are still going.
Sid

NY

02-25-14, 02:46 PM   #9  
I don't want to jump into the middle of a pissing contest, but if the impeller is turning and the augers aren't, couldn't it be nothing more than the shear bolts have sheared and only look OK?

If memory serves my right I believe the OP said the shear pins were not sheared.

IA

02-26-14, 04:36 AM   #10  
You see brass against steel in the worm drive of a lot of tillers. I have an old one with a 12 horse engine and never a problem. Another reason the brass may be used is the porosity of the metal will carry lubricant.

Some metals like brass and aluminum will absorb lubricant.

You could make a case, though, that a part of what ever metal has been designed to be a maintenance item simply by its sizing.

Search this Thread