Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Fuel Tank Problem

OH

02-16-14, 12:00 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Fuel Tank Problem

I have a toro 21" rotary mower model 20073 Serial 270068193 that was in for a tune up and a fuel leak. The fuel is leaking from where the fuel tank top was fastened to the bottom half of the tank along the seam. I fixed a visible vertical crack with some plastic repair epoxy, but it still leaked from the rest of the seam when I filled it over half way up. This tank is no longer available from Toro, or from our source for Tecumseh Engine Parts. (I am a Toro Distributor) Any sources out there for a tank like this, or a repair suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

02-16-14, 03:13 PM   #2  
You could remove the tank and braze the crack and seam but I imagine that's more than you or your customer wants to spend. How about removing the tank. Thoroughly cleaning the interior then pour in some fiberglass resin and tilt the tank around to get it into the seam and pour out the excess.

TX

02-16-14, 03:26 PM   #3  
Used a similar product to seal a rusted diesel tank on farm tractor. Still working after 10 years.

Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - Restoration Aids - Caswell Inc

OH

02-17-14, 05:20 PM   #4  
Tecumseh fuel Tank Problem

I neglected to say that this tank is plastic. I know that brazing it would be a "meltdown" so to speak. I might try to use the same epoxy that I fixed the crack on the side and just go all the way around the edge of the joint seam. I called one of our Tecumseh Parts suppliers this afternoon. She said that there was a service bulletin about these tanks she was going to fax me. I hope to see that tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread