Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Did I get sold a lemon snowblower?

IL

02-17-14, 05:30 PM   #1  
Did I get sold a lemon snowblower?

It's an ~10 year old craftsman 24" two stage with a tecumseh motor. Checked it out and everything seemed to work fine when I was there, but since getting it home, the following has happened:

* Was trying to cut into some fairly deep snow and the motor bogged out and stalled, wouldn't start back up
* in the process of trying to pull the rope, it snapped
* let it sit a couple days, after which it starts back up (electric start), but was backfiring and eventually stalled
* Tried turning the choke open, loosening the gas cap, etc....no luck
* Noticed just today that it stalled out as soon as I opened the choke

He claims he got it from a guy that accidentally filled it with water, but he cleaned the carb up and it was fine

I also noticed that he started it up without the choke while I was there. What could be the issue on this?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-17-14, 06:00 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums. Caveat emptor.. Some of the things I would expect from an old machine, like the rope breaking. Water in gas tank..not the brightest bulb in the pack, but it can be fixed. Backfiring can be from a worn or semi-sheared key on the crankshaft.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

02-17-14, 09:09 PM   #3  
Just had to chuckle. 10 years old, more then one owner would have told me old fuel, rotted pull cord, dried out fuel lines, no nonethanol fuel ever used, carburetor needing to be rebuilt.

VA

02-18-14, 08:31 AM   #4  
My guess, since it died under heavy load, is that the flywheel key, that controls the spark timing, has been damaged.

Search this Thread