Toro 521 Auger doesn't work, but impeller does

Old 02-18-14, 10:02 AM
Toro 521 Auger doesn't work, but impeller does

I'm having a very similar issue with my Toro 521 model #38052 as dwalker was in this thread... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...nt-rotate.html , made in 88.

Impeller runs full speed w/ no issue, but both front augers don't move with any resistance. With nothing in their way they will spin very very slowly for some part of a revolution then clang once or twice and start spinning faster. Putting the machine in any significant amount of snow shuts them right down.

Not sure if this could be a pin/bolt of some sort as I have not checked... It was working fine up till it stopped

Also worth noting, I replaced the auger belt this morning and found the old one (although only used a few times last winter and a few times this winter) to be stretched out. I don't believe this to be related though.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-14, 12:11 PM
A little more information...
I went after the gearbox area with a heat gun, just to make sure nothing was frozen where it shouldn't be. If I hand spin the impeller backwards, the auger turns, if I hand spin it in its normal running direction it does not normally turn the auger, so I am leaning towards the issue being a stripped worm gear or stripped from the impeller arm. I guess the proper way would be to replace the worm gear and attachment on the impeller shaft. Has anyone done this? Do I need to do other stuff or replace other parts aside from load the gearbox back up with grease, assuming I can get the parts...?

Old 02-19-14, 12:43 AM
Group Moderator
Yup....been there done that. I have the same machine and even with lubing the gearbox every year mine wore out. I actually put a grease fitting on mine and pump it full of grease every year.

Here is a link with the parts breakout. Not hard to do.
Parts and Diagrams for Toro Consumer 38052, 521 Snowthrower, 1988 (SN 8000001-8999999)

Old 02-19-14, 03:09 PM
Thanks! Any chance the shear pin from auger to gearbox could be busted? I'm headed out now to look for it, but not really sure where to find it (though it probably can't be too hidden).

Old 02-20-14, 05:46 AM
The 521 auger

If the shear pin/s were broken, you could turn the augers by hand, when the machine is at rest.
Sid

Old 02-23-14, 06:58 PM
With a little work (sometimes) you can turn the augers by hand. If you move one, they both move. Sometimes the impeller moves with it, sometimes it doesn't.

Is there a shear pin in the gearbox?

Old 02-24-14, 05:53 AM
The Toro augers

Probably no shear pin in the gearbox. The fact when you turn an auger, and the other auger turns also probably means that one of the gears is striped.
Sid

Old 03-08-14, 03:57 PM
Adam..........

I also have a 521 and encounted some problems in the last big storm. If the augers turn slowly then stop when encountering snow then the friction pad may be worn. On the engagement clutch handle tighten the rod down a few turns and see if the augers then turn better, As to the augers freewheeling when handled. Look on the outside of the augers (left and right) you will see a half-moon cut on both side. Top and botton. Make sure that there are bolts through the holes. These have to line up with a pass through hole in the auger drive shaft.
If they are missing (one on each side) then it is a matter of dropping and securing a appropiate sized bolt though the lined up holes. I forget the size of the bolt I used but I did it, outside, in a freezing blizzard as I couldn't get the machine, and me, to a sheltered warm place. I did use a hex bolt of about two inches length as it was easier to secure.
Right now it works perfectly (knock, knock) and will attend to these better in the spring.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-10-14, 08:40 AM
Hmmm thanks for the thoughts Bob.

I'm in the process of trying to get the gearbox out, which is stumping me from the backside of the impeller, but I may need something longer to unscrew the impeller shaft from the pulley.

Old 03-10-14, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
If it was a drive problem.... the blower wheel would also slow down or stop when the auger stopped turning.

When I rebuilt mine I pulled the blower shaft out as the bearing that holds it to the mounting plate wears out.

The parts kit includes parts #6, 7 and 8 in the diagram I left you in post 3.

Old 03-10-14, 04:24 PM
After some fighting I got the auger/impeller/shaft/gearbox out. Looks like I dinged up the pulley in the process of removing it and now I see that they are $45 or so online used. Not sure if I'll even get it back together, but if I do, how flat does the pulley need to be? It got bent up a little when I used a prybar to remove it (heated it first).