Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Toro S20 snowblower - need compression range

MI

02-18-14, 04:26 PM   #1  
Old Toro S20 snowblower - need compression range

I have an old S20 with the 2-stroke Tecumseh I'm pulling out of mothballs. As I recall the only issue was it was hard to start. I'm getting a compression of 65--seems pretty low but that's bone dry and it does hold that pressure without bleeding off. Is that adequate for it to run good?

Sponsored Links

IA

02-19-14, 05:53 AM   #2  
No, 65 lbs, if that's all you get wouldn't start and run the engine. If the engine has been sitting for a long time try putting a little gas/oil mix down the plug hole and see if it will fire. If you can get it started and ran for a few minutes the compression may get higher for you. As a rule, though you need compression of around 90 - 130 lbs.

The reading you get holds steady because it's locked into the compression tester. It doesn't hold that compression in the cylinder. In the cylinder it would bleed down to nothing through the piston rings.

MI

02-19-14, 07:52 AM   #3  
I've got 2 of these old things. One was always hard to start and when I got ahold of a 2nd that had electric start I stuck the 1st in the shed. A couple years ago the starter gear shredded on the 2nd so it joined the 1st in the shed.

Last night I got both to run. I think I'll scavenge the best parts and make one good out of 2 crappy ones ;-)

Search this Thread