Tecumseh engine won't idle high

Old 02-22-14, 12:28 PM
Tecumseh engine won't idle high

Im working on a YardMachine snow blower that belongs to a friend. It has a 5hp. Tecumseh (Model: HSSK50). It has a Tecumseh carb (5145) that dosent seem to have any adjustment screws. The engine runs at low idle but when throttle is increased to the point that it moves the governor arm, the engine boggs down, runs rough and stalls out. Removed bowl and it and the float were coated in dried varnish. I removed all plastic and rubber parts, let metal parts soak for 24hrs in cleaner, poked wire in all holes, put it back together (with new needle, seat, bowl gasket) and re-installed. Still runs exactly the same. I even swapped out the carb from my 5.5hp Tecumseh powered snow blower that runs perfectly with (what looks like) the exact same carb it didnt change the performance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 01:29 PM
Check the crooked tube between carb and engine for vacuum leaks and/or cracks. Your description sounds like vacuum leak. The tubes are prone to crack from vibrations during use. Recently replaced one on a portable welder unit with a Tecumseh.

RR

Old 02-22-14, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, is the crooked tube metal or rubber? B/c the only rubber tube/hose other than the fuel line from tank to carb is the one from the primer bulb to the carb. Other info: the snow blower and engine are roughly 10yrs old. The owner doesnt maintain his stuff (never changed oil, doesnt drain fuel after season or use stabilizer in fuel). Also, when i took off the nut that holds the bowl on, a small piece of the main nozzle tube (abt. 1/8 inch) came out with it. I put it back together and figured that with the o-ring in place and the compression from the nut it wouldnt make much difference. The tech at the shop i buy parts from agreed. And i didnt mention it in my first post b/c i had already tried a different carb with the same results.

Old 02-22-14, 02:29 PM
Well, I don't have my eyes and hands on your engine, but most are metal, with a few being plastic.
It is the tube that bolts to engine and then the carb bolts to it.
I can't agree with your tech about the broken jet. find another shop with a better qualified tech and ask the same question. Carbs are finicky and if just one thing is off or out of adjustment, the engine runs bad, if at all.

If I had that engine in my shop, most likely I would pull the head and clean carbon from around valves, head, and exposed top of block. I strongly suspect the intake valve is not closing properly. Might even be warped.

RR

Old 03-03-14, 06:09 PM
Update: Well, still havent found the problem. Removed carb and intake manifold tube and inspected. No holes or cracks, replaced with new gaskets on both ends. Next I removed head. No past experience doing this. Yes there was carbon in there but not sure how much is considered normal. Rotated engine by hand and both valves seem to be closing completely. Install new head gasket and put all back together. Started engine and it still runs the same as when i started this project. When i first start, i get alot of backfire and even some fire out the muffler. This stops when engine warms up. Still cant get past 1/2 throttle before engine boggs down and dies. Im about ready to give up and tell owner to get professional help but if i get another suggestion before he comes to pick up his machine, I'll give it a try.

Old 03-03-14, 08:31 PM
Check the exhaust. Could be stopped up.

Search this Thread