Poulan 2000 Chainsaw

Old 02-25-14, 11:05 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poulan 2000 Chainsaw

This is an older unit that has a couple of problems. The problem I can't handle by myself has to do with the bar and chain oil. When running, the saw seems to be putting out way too much oil, to the point where it is visibly running down the side of the guide bar. I think I have to remove the clutch to get to whatever the problem is, but I'm unclear as to how to remove it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mart

Old 02-25-14, 01:51 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The oil pump is under the plate just below the bar & chain it is not adjustable!!!! Congratulations you got the one that works.

Old 02-26-14, 06:35 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
That's right you can't adjust those things, but you can slow the discharge down by using regular bar oil and add about thirty percent of oil additive like STP or Lucas oil stabilizer. The higher viscosity will slow it up a little.

The other thing you can do is put a small, drilled out restriction in the discharge hole of the casing. It would be equivalent to a metering jet, although getting too much oil is a lot better than no oil.

If you decide to do the mechanical trial/error the clutch drive comes off in the reverse direction of engine rotation. Most of the time they're marked "to remove". Then take out the spark plug and stuff a nylon rope down plug hole, use a wrench to take off the clutch (rap it with a hammer), and pull out the rope. You won't need to stuff the rope when you put the clutch back on, just snug it down and the engine rotation will tighten it the rest of the way.

Old 02-26-14, 08:10 AM
M
Thanks for the help...the saw brand new was all of $100 or so, and I really should just trash it and get a new one, but I'm an old geezer, and it's the principle of the thing, ya know? The pump assembly is no longer available anywhere, so the trash may be the final solution anyway. Thanks again.
Mart

Old 02-26-14, 11:15 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Replacing the pump assembly wouldn't likely fix it anyway. You should be going through two tanks of gas for each fill of chain oil, with regular bar oil in it. If you're using motor oil it would go through a lot more oil.

If the saw is running well and over oiling is the only problem with it, I wouldn't trash it, but at least sell it on Ebay or Craigslist.

Old 02-26-14, 01:00 PM
M
Good thought...I'll keep that 2 to 1 ratio in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: