Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere STX38 Deck Repair (Black Deck)

NJ

03-11-14, 04:13 PM   #1  
John Deere STX38 Deck Repair (Black Deck)

I have been asked to try and repair a deck from a John Deere STX38 Lawn Tractor. There are two large holes and one small one. I was planning on pop riveting sheets of stainless steel over the hole areas. Which would be better -- placing the sheet metal on the underside of the deck or on top. Is there a better way to fix the deck.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-11-14, 06:24 PM   #2  
I'd suggest taking the deck off and taking it by a welding shop and let them patch it if you want a lasting repair. Unless you use steel rivets, they will wear off quickly from the underside if you have any sand to speak of. If the holes are rust holes, not blast holes from the sand, then the repair wight work fine. Either way, I'd put the patch on the outside.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

03-11-14, 09:18 PM   #3  
That many holes it's time for a new deck.
Stainless is a soft metal.
It would hold up a whole lot longer if someone welded in steel not stainless.

NJ

03-12-14, 12:32 PM   #4  
Thanks everyone for the input. I dropped the deck off this morning at a welding shop. They are going to patch it with steel. Ironically, I bought an inexpensive MIG welder over the weekend. I have to practice first on scrap pieces before I start making customer repairs. Well, I can work on the tractor while the deck is being repaired. Thanks again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-12-14, 05:59 PM   #5  
It probably won't take long to figure out the MIG. They're easy to use in my opinion. I got my first one and was welding pretty good with it in a very short amount of time, and I had never welded before that. I started off with a cheap 110 volt flux core welder and it did more than I expected. Perfect for a lawnmower shop though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread