Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husqvarna Chainsaw chain won't spin fast

MI

04-01-14, 07:53 AM   #1  
Husqvarna Chainsaw chain won't spin fast

Hello, This is my first post and I didn't see any other post that was quite like my situation.

I have a 1 year old Huqvarna chainsaw. I winterized it and went to use it yesterday. It started first pull but the chain spins really really slowly. I also noticed the hand brake didnt slide back and forth like it should. My dad and I took it apart and back together and seems the hand brake feels and sounds right but the chain barely moves, but it does move. With the brake engage it doesn't move at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-01-14, 09:35 AM   #2  
Hello and welcome!

Is the chain rusty? Is it too tight? Can you spin the chain by hand easily?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

04-01-14, 09:39 AM   #3  
Try removing the bar. Hold it vertically with the sprocket tip up. Place the chain over it and in the grooves of the bar. Pull the around the bar. Does it flow smoothly or bind up? If the chain won't go into the groove or if it binds then I would try a new chain. If you bound the saw and twisted it's easy to put a slight bend in the chain that prevents it from riding properly on the bar.

MI

04-01-14, 12:01 PM   #4  
I can move the chain around the bar by hand, it lays in the groves easily, no rust on it.

CAL

04-01-14, 12:18 PM   #5  
Something isn't right with the chain brake, the band may be stuck. I haven't got mine out to look at it but I believe the problem is in there and the tension should be adjustable once you free it up.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-01-14, 04:40 PM   #6  
I tend to agree with Ron53, or else the teeth on the sprocket are worn through and not pulling the chain anymore.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IA

04-01-14, 04:53 PM   #7  
Does the engine rev normally off the throttle (chain on the saw or off) or does it seem to bog down like something is holding it back?

TN

04-02-14, 06:02 AM   #8  
Chain Saw

Check around the clutch/sprocket area for trash. Wood chips or vines will bind up the sprocket and give the symptoms you describe. Also, does the bar have a sprocket in the outer end of the bar? If so, this can also be a problem area.

MI

04-02-14, 09:20 AM   #9  
I took it apart again, and looking online it seems I originally took the cover off with brake set because now i can't align the grooves of the brake into the silver wheel-thingy (below in the pic) on the saw cover, which I think was the issue all along. Name:  brake.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  53.0 KB

CO

04-02-14, 12:29 PM   #10  
Husky

Now that the brake is set there is two ways to release it. One hold the saw on it's side hold the cover on push the brake handle forward until the cover drops onto the handle than press down hard and pull the brake handle back to release the brake. Or you could make a tool:

Tripped:

Released

MI

04-02-14, 03:27 PM   #11  
I was able to put the cover on and move the brake back. I attached the cover and the brake moves back and forth like it did last year. But now I started it up and the chain still did not move and the engine cuts off when I pull the trigger.

CO

04-02-14, 03:57 PM   #12  
With the saw off & the brake released can you move the chain by hand? Use a pair of gloves.

Search this Thread