Toro Personal Pace & Toro Recycler drive problem

Old 04-01-14, 12:23 PM
Toro Personal Pace & Toro Recycler drive problem

I have a Personal Pace mower (2004, serial # 240106262) that has been making a grinding noise, mainly on turns. It is also pulls to one side. It sounds like the left wheel gears are grinding. The left wheel seem to be slipping and the teeth on the pion gear show wear. the wheel slipping is causing the pull to one side

This started last year when the drive system acted up. Since that time, I have replaced the transmission, the bearings, the pion gears, the belt, the drive pulley, the transmission pulley, the wheels and the keys. Basically, the whole drive system.

As best as I can figure out the left wheel (facing the handle) is not engaging the gear proper and is slipping. I just can't figure out why. Any suggestions? I have looked at the parts diagram and all the parts appear to be there and in the proper order.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 10:54 AM
Bushings

Have you checked the bushings in the height adjuster that your transmission axle shaft goes through. This bushing also acts as a thrust washer and will wear the length down to where the axle gear and the gear mounted on the wheel will not mesh. Check both sides on this height adjuster axle bushings. If I had the model number for you unit, I could tell you the part number to get the measurements from. You also should look at the inside of your wheel for wear where the axle shaft is rubbing.

Old 04-14-14, 01:55 PM
Thanks. Your replies to other posters have help me out before.

In this case, the wheels, bearings, bushing and transmission are new. I think I might have solved the problem. The one part I didn't replace (the retaining ring) appears to be causing this. When compared to the new ring, the old ring had a larger permanent set. I am speculating that this allow the ring to partly pop out of its grove which was screwing up the alignment. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Old 04-17-14, 05:02 AM
Hi.
I need assistance with my model 20017.
My personal pace mower does not drive on the ground.
with the engine running and the wheels off the ground, the wheels turn and feel quite strong - I cant stop them with my foot - awkward anyway -but when on the ground, there is no forward traction.
I installed a new belt after examining the transmission and all looks good.
Far as I can tell, there must be a great deal of slippage going on.
I tightened the cable banjo string tight and can just barely get any traction, and at that point I cant pull the mower backwards, so I loosened it up to a 'normal' tightness but again no forward drive.

turning either of the the wheels by hand, the tyranny pulley turns.

I'll put on a new belt, hoping I got one that is just a bit off.
Is there anything else I should consider?
gears on wheels are clean, and connect to the drive axle gears.
Nothing looks out of place nor misaligned.
Just cant figure this out.

Also is there an easier way to install a belt other than taking the whole rear apart?

Old 04-17-14, 07:34 AM
CAMINO KID is the pro but I will try to help.

Take a close look at the pulleys. I would start with the drive shaft pulley. Does the bottom of the belt come close to the bottom of the pulley? If so that is probably your problem. If it looks good, check the other pulley.

In my case the drive pulley was bad.

Old 04-19-14, 07:06 PM
Are you saying it should be near the bottom?
At rest, not with the motor running, it looks like the belt is sitting in the middle of both pulleys.

The pulleys are solid, not coming apart or anything and appear to be round in alignment and not wobbly.
I did rub them up with some emery cloth just to take the slick shine off, but no difference in performance was noticed.

I really don't want to stick my head up under there while the motor is running.
Come Monday, if it does not rain, I will install a different new belt - just to do something to eliminate possibilities.

Thanks all.

Old 04-19-14, 09:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Noname, Are the axles that the wheels ide on worn, allowing the wheel to flop away from the gear a little?

Old 04-20-14, 02:12 PM
no drive

3670georgia - have you taken the gears off the axle shaft? The gears have "L" or "R" stamped on the edge of them. When the gears are installed on the axle shaft the keys should push up out of the shaft by small springs under them. The gear letter should match the side of the mower from behind the handle bars with the "L" side out on the left and the "R" out on the right. When you push the mower without the engine running the wheels will free wheel but when you pull the mower backwards there should be resistance from the transmission being turned due to the keys locking the gears.

Old 04-20-14, 09:03 PM
The belt should not be rubbing against the bottom of the V grove. If you can see a decent visible gap when you are pulling on the belt then the pulley should be good.

If you are trying a new belt, check both pulleys. See if can push the belt in to the point it starts to bottom out. It shouldn't.

Does it make any noise like gears grinding?

Cheese: Thanks for the suggestion. The transmission is new. So far it looks like it was a bad retaining clip.

Old 04-24-14, 02:34 AM
Thanks so much for the help. You all are quick!

I will take the gears off and check.
I have felt the resistance when pulling backwards.
With the cable really really tight, the mower won’t go backwards at all.
with the cable at 'normal' tension, yes I hear the clicks
It does freewheel going forward, that's how I have to mow right now.

No grinding noises.
Also the wheels turn fairly strongly when they are in the air, just not when on the ground trying to pull itself.

The wheel gears appear to make good contact - no slop and when I turn each wheel the trans and other wheel turn and are engaged strongly in both directions.

From other postings I am suspecting the pulleys, so I'll check if the belt goes bottoms out on either the trans or motor pulley.
Seems like the trans pulley would be more suspect since the motor pulley is made of stronger stuff.

Pulleys wearing out are a new notion to me- seems like the belt would go before the pulley, but oh well.

Also, how to work on just the trans pulley, or remove the belt without removing the whole rear end trans etc?

Old 04-24-14, 09:57 AM
Yes, I was shocked how worn my drive shaft pulley was. I did have to replace mine. From what I remember it was less than $20 on Ebay. I also replaced the transmission pulley but I don't believe I had to. Like you I was getting tired of working on it so I just ordered both to be done with it. If you replace the drive pulley, don't forget to reinstall the washer.

I am assuming that the wheel is not slipping on the hub.

There is a service manual on the web. I don't have the link.

Old 04-26-14, 11:59 PM
YIPPEE!!
So, on the way home one of the past couple of days, there it was a donor, sitting on the curb. front drive 20016 - more on that later.

Back to my rear drive 20017; I took off the gears and the grease was so hardened it was like a lump of plastic. The springs could not sproing, they were stuck in the old grease.
Cleaned those up and got good action from the spring and key and they could now perform as designed.
There was a bit of improvement in self pulling.
I saw that the drive ( motor) pulley was shiny all the way, so the belt was indeed bottoming out.
Swapped the drive pulley in from the donor and when installed and started, I had to hold the mower back! It took off like a scalded cat!

So success is declared.
Total was a drive cable and belt before contacting you here.

My local guy did not have the trans pulley halves in stock but they are ordered and I'll call him up and add a drive pulley to the order.

Thank you so very, very much!!